Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I'd love advice for our daughter's name!

Hello,
    Our first child will be here in just over a month! We plan to keep the name secret until she's born, but the problem is we haven't even decided on one yet - yikes! I'd love to hear thoughts on my top choices. Our last name is one syllable, so I'm leaning towards a first name with multiple syllables. The middle name will be either Nafisa (my pick, for sentimental reasons) or Grace (hubby's favorite name, but it has the one-syllable issue). Thanks for your advice!!! :)

Here's the list (with my questions/reservations noted):

Brooklyn (the only name we both agree on, but it doesn't have a deep meaning)
    Cecilia (I always get the song stuck in my head, though!)
    Eden (too much at risk for "garden of..." jokes?)
    Eliana (worried about pronunciation)
    Evelyn (hubby thinks it sounds like an old lady, but I think it's classic)
    Isabel (too popular?)
    Luka (hubby hates this because of a bad song, but I love it)
    Madeline (worried about spelling issues)
    Violet (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?)
    Viviana (worried about pronunciation)

Any other ideas are definitely welcome! :)

Re: I'd love advice for our daughter's name!

Congratulations!

Brooklyn this one is way too trendy for me and doesn't have nearly as much substance as all of your other choices.

Cecilia love it! The song will not go through your head once you're holding her, unless of course you're humming her to sleep :)

Eden no I love this too. Beautiful, simple, unique but classic.

Eliana I like Eden better

Evelyn is adorable and nn Evie is too cute! I also like Evangeline.

Isabel yeah pretty popular

Luka a great boys name to me

Madeline spelling and VERY popular

Violet I think its nice to honor your aunt! I like others better but this is still very sweet.

Viviana I prefer Vivienne personally

You have some beautiful choices here!
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Brooklyn (the only name we both agree on, but it doesn't have a deep meaning): Brooklyn is very, very, very, very trendy name.... :-(

Cecilia (I always get the song stuck in my head, though!): I think the classic Cecilia is lovely (love Celia, too), but if it annoys you to hear the song, I don't think it's the name for you !:-)

Eden (too much at risk for "garden of..." jokes?): Eden isn't my style, but I think it's very pretty. The name is really gaining in popularity, and I don't think she'll be at risk of Eden jokes.

Eliana (worried about pronunciation): I think this Hebrew name is gorgeous, and its use is widespread in many cultures. I pronounce it ell-ee-on-uh.

Evelyn (hubby thinks it sounds like an old lady, but I think it's classic): Evelyn has become quite popular (#55), but I think it's a gorgeous name. Genevieve and Evangeline are other names you can use to reach the Evie nickname.

Isabel (too popular?): While very popular, Isabel isn't as popular as the pandemic Isabella, but to me, it's too close for comfort! (You can type in a name in the "check out a name" box to read name opinions and rankings.)

Luka (hubby hates this because of a bad song, but I love it): This is a boys' name for me (Luca), and your husband doesn't like it, which is very important.

Madeline (worried about spelling issues): This is very popular, too, and as you said, you're concerned about spelling issues, which isn't good.

Violet (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?): I love Violet, and if you love your aunt and want your baby named after her, I'd go for it!

Viviana (worried about pronunciation): I love Viviana, too, and pronounce it Viv-ee-on-uh.

Other ideas:

Amelia (nn Mia or even Milly)
    Anneliese
    Beatrix
    Bronwen/Bronwyn (instead of Brooklyn)
    Clementine
    Charlotte
    Cora
    Cordelia
    Caroline
    Daphne
    Daisy
    Emmeline
    Eliza
    Eleanor
    Evangeline
    Frances/Francesca
    Felicity
    Fiona
    Genevieve
    Georgia/Georgiana
    Hope
    Hazel
    Isla
    Iris
    Josephine
    Juliet
    Katherine
    Louisa
    Lucy
    Lila
    Matilda
    Marielle
    Phoebe
    Rose
    Romilly
    Stella
    Simone
    Scarlett
    Tess
    Tessa
    Vivienne
    Willa

Good luck!

My favourite from your list is Evelyn :)

http://babynamelover.wordpress.com/

Brooklyn- this is the only one on your list that I don't like at ALL. It doesn't seem to go with the style of the rest of your list.
    Cecilia- such a beautiful name, it's on my list. Cecilia Grace is so pretty!
    Eden- I don't think jokes would be a problem. I like this name. Definitely couldn't use Grace, and it doesn't sound too good with Nafisa, either.
    Eliana- I don't think pronunciation should be a problem. This is a really pretty name, it's my friend's niece's name, I really like it.
    Evelyn- I know everyone on nameberry loves this one, but I just don't
    Isabel- I think it's too popular, yeah.
    Luka- I agree with Jill, Luca is a boys name.
    Madeline- I like it, but would be worried about spelling and pronunciation and the nn Maddy is SUPER common
    Violet- one of my favorite names, I think it would be lovely to name your daughter after your aunt.
    Viviana- not a big fan of this one.

If it were me, I'd definitely pick Eliana Violet (or Grace, but I think Eliana Violet is just so sweet!). The more I think about Eliana, the more I like her. It's familiar but uncommon, and I don't believe she's in danger or jumping up the charts soon. I think I'm adding her to my list, actually (I have Elaine/Elaina for my MIL, but I think Eliana isn't too much of a stretch!)
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco