Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for Pamela and Linda...

Bible Baby Names: Most Popular

Just a question...Why is "Elizabeth" not included on the Bible Baby Names: Most Popular
    list? Hasn't Elizabeth been a Biblical name that has consistently been used throughout history? I believe it ranked #10 in the 2007 Social Security list of Top 100 Baby Names.

Re: Question for Pamela and Linda...

They said in their blog once that Elizabeth, John and Mary aren't counted as Bible names because they have been so popular for so long. They're used for family, not religious reasons now.

I count John, Elizabeth and Mary as bible names. In my family we have a little tradition going that one of our names is a bible name. Mine is Susan and I used to have Deborah, too, my sister is Kathleen Elizabeth (Elizabeth is a bible name), my mom's is Helen Elizabeth, my brother's was Timothy (bible name) Warren, my husband's is Kent Andrew (bible name), my son's is Peter Sebastian, my daughter's is Laura Elizabeth, and even our cat is Moses Malone. Our dog has the name Anne in her name Roxanne. Whenever I think of names for my own children, although I'm not going to have any more, I always put a bible name in there-usually either Anne or Anna for a girl or Grace which is what Anne means, or Andrew for a boy. Anne, Grace, and Andrew are all family names, too. My father Kenneth Arthur didn't have a bible name. He got left out! Even my niece and my cousin Ann's two children have names from the bible - Matthew, Jane (feminine for John), and Rebecca is Julia's middle name. I think even Julia is a bible name. My sister is an Episcopal priest, so she is way into the name Rebecca. All of my first cousins on my dad's side of the family have at least one name from the bible. There's Ann, Jean (feminine for John), Peter, John, Rebecca, Matthew, Philip, and Karen Annette! Now you know one reason I love Greek and Hebrew names so much.

Quote Originally Posted by susan
    I count John, Elizabeth and Mary as bible names. In my family we have a little tradition going that one of our names is a bible name. Mine is Susan and I used to have Deborah, too, my sister is Kathleen Elizabeth (Elizabeth is a bible name), my mom's is Helen Elizabeth, my brother's was Timothy (bible name) Warren, my husband's is Kent Andrew (bible name), my son's is Peter Sebastian, my daughter's is Laura Elizabeth, and even our cat is Moses Malone. Our dog has the name Anne in her name Roxanne. Whenever I think of names for my own children, although I'm not going to have any more, I always put a bible name in there-usually either Anne or Anna for a girl or Grace which is what Anne means, or Andrew for a boy. Anne, Grace, and Andrew are all family names, too. My father Kenneth Arthur didn't have a bible name. He got left out! Even my niece and my cousin Ann's two children have names from the bible - Matthew, Jane (feminine for John), and Rebecca is Julia's middle name. I think even Julia is a bible name. My sister is an Episcopal priest, so she is way into the name Rebecca. All of my first cousins on my dad's side of the family have at least one name from the bible. There's Ann, Jean (feminine for John), Peter, John, Rebecca, Matthew, Philip, and Annette! Now you know one reason I love Greek and Hebrew names so much.
    Very interesting! I consider Elizabeth a Biblical name, too. I know several babies named Elizabeth because of its meaning "Pledged to God".

Quote Originally Posted by theballetnamer
    They said in their blog once that Elizabeth, John and Mary aren't counted as Bible names because they have been so popular for so long. They're used for family, not religious reasons now.
    I had not read this. Thanks!