Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Place Names

I have been thinking about how some of my favorite places in the world are associated with some of my favorite names. There is a large, beautiful garden that I often visited with my beloved grandpa, step grandma, and my sister when I was young that we all loved so much. The garden is still there and is filled with trees, plants, brooks, flowers, animals and birds that inspire beautiful names which I associate with my grandpa. There was also a little Japanese garden within the larger garden where we could buy tea and little almond cookies. We could sit at a wooden table and have our tea next to a dark green pond with a view of a curving red bridge.
    If you love a certain place and associate it with someone you love, that place can inspire wonderful names. If I wanted to name my son after my grandpa, but didn't like my grandpa's first or middle name, then I could still honor my grandpa by naming my son after a place we both loved. Or I could name my son after a tree, a bird, or an animal in that place. If I had a little daughter, I could give her a feminine or even a unisex name that reminds me of my grandpa, and it wouldn't have to be Bernadette (my grandpa was named Bernard). It could be a name from that garden or even another place that my grandpa and I both loved.
    Do you have a very favorite place in the world? Does that place remind you of a beloved person? What names do you associate with that place?

Re: Favorite Place Names

Descanso Gardens Names

Oak
    Fern
    Brooke

Flowers:
    Camellia
    Azalea
    Iris
    Rose

Animals and birds:
    Ava (means bird)
    Drake (means male duck)
    Paloma (means dove)
    Penelope (means duck)
    Roscoe (means deer forest)

A few Japanese names to represent the little Japanese garden:
    Hiroshi (generous)
    Keiko (happy child)
    Kenzo (strong and healthy)
    Miko (flower stem)
    Suki (loved one)

One of my favorite places in the world is Concord, MA, although it's not associated with any relatives. I felt drawn to Concord when I first visited as a little girl, which makes sense, as I love American History. When I walk by Louisa May Alcott's house in Concord, I feel so at home with the area's historic sites and names.

The names I love are all classic, and feel as though they came straight from Concord/ New England:
    Rose
    Annabelle
    Genevieve
    Emmeline
    Josephine
    Charlotte
    Cora
    Louisa
    Grace
    Caroline
    Blythe
    Lydia
    Catherine
    Eliza
    Felicity
    Julia
    Susannah
    Tess
    Celia
    Maude

Edward
    Henry
    Oliver
    Nathaniel
    Benjamin
    Samuel
    Charles
    Gideon
    Gabriel
    Harrison
    Miles
    Joseph

Your list is so beautiful! I went to Louisa Mae Alcott's house, too, and loved it so much that I could hardly breathe. Then we went to see an old graveyard. I love your list of names-many of them are my favorites!

Thanks, Susan! Out of curiosity, which names are your favorites? I'm so glad to hear you love the Alcott home, too! It's so neat how Emerson lived right across the street! (I love his house, too.) I can't wait to move back to Boston soon!