Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strong names for a girl?

When thinking about the image I want my (potential) daughter’s name to convey, I find myself using words like “strong,” “competent,” and “intelligent.” Perhaps it’s because my name has always seemed fairly trendy and unserious to me (Kimberly). Anyway, names that I feel fit a “strong” image are Eleanor, Frances, Margaret (all names my husband has vetoed). I like Elizabeth and Catherine but feel they’re a bit overdone. I don’t like androgynous names because I feel they convey the wrong message that male = strong.

I was curious if anyone had any insights or suggestions for me?

Re: Strong names for a girl?

I too find myself going in that direction, though a lot of the names I adore have once been predominately male names. Like my dd Jocelyn (:

Sometimes I've found names to be strong simply by the people who 'made' the name such as Audrey or Jacqueline, kwim. So, my choices may not seem as strong to you as they've been presented to me...

Shannon
    Mira
    Bronwyn
    Branwen
    Cadence
    Livia
    Jolie
    Evelyn
    Gwynn
    Mialoa
    Clare
    Sonja
    Sidonie
    Sine (she-nah but she pron. it See-nah)
    Theresa
    Caitlin
    Vivienne
    Lorelei
    Fione
    Mercy
    Lana
    Lara
    Lauren
    Uma (my aunt not the actress... even though I do adore the actress, lol)
    Serefina (a distant cousin, she's a hag, lol but I love the name LOL)
    Eloise (love the nn El/Elle or Elo)

That's my little list... My brain is still full of cobwebs this morning, but hth a bit (: I'll more than likely chime in later when I wake up, lol

BTW ~ know how you feel... my name's Jasmine. Nice enough, but ditto how you describe your name

I know what you mean. I use the same words when I talk about the girls names I love. My daughter has a classic femininsed boys name, Josephine. Honors her Great Gagi and one of her Great Aunts. I find a lot of those feminised boys names don't look very masculine at all: Cecily/Cecilia, Laura, Antoinette, Cosima, Felicia, Isidora, Jane & Lucy for example.
    I would suggest looking through History for some that may appeal to you. Lucretia (for Mott) is one of my very favorites. Some other random choices:
    Fiona
    Julia
    Viola
    Iris
    Florence (nn Flora, perhaps?)
    Lillian
    Caroline
    Beatrice
    Violet

I hope that helps!
    Mama to Leo Sebastian, Simon Ambrose, Josephine Rosamel &
    Angel: 05/09/11

Visit my blog: www.lolamac.wordpress.com

The fog lifted and one more came to me, lol ... Adrianne / Adrienne

I agree that many of the girls' names listed above are very strong. How about Maude, Maeve, Lena, Jane, Celeste, Honor, Nora, Stella, Marin, Carmen, Vivian, Rory, Anna, Flora, and Georgia? Do you think Ruby is a strong girl's name? It ends in a "y"-kind of a dainty sound there at the end. But there's something strong and spirited about it. The thought of the ruby is a bright color and very strong. I love strong names but I also love soft names like Lucy. Is Alice strong?