Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Anais

Anais

My husband and I were talking about this name tonight (a favourite of mine) but were unsure about something. Our families have French origins, and we have always pronounced it Anna-EES (as it is in French) but it seems to be pronounced differently by some people. How would you pronounce it? How have you heard it pronounced? I'm trying to get a feel for how ambiguous it is before I really fall in love with it.

Re: Anais

I LOVE the look of this name. I've never heard IRL, but Ive seen it around boards. I think I mostly saw people saying it was ANNA-EES. I was browsing books today and saw a book with an author by this name and just stared at it's beauty!

I pronounce it ah-NYE-us, as in Anais Nin. That's also the pronunciation they give on thinkbabynames.com.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Anna-ees for me too. I've never heard it any other way. Most people are going to say Anna-ees, as that's how Anais Nin's name is said. I much prefer BtN for pronunciations and etymology.
    Mama to Leo Sebastian, Simon Ambrose, Josephine Rosamel &
    Angel: 05/09/11

Visit my blog: www.lolamac.wordpress.com

Ah-NYE-us is the Anglicized pronunciation; I think the French form, Ana-EES, is gorgeous. She'll probably have to help people out with it sometimes, but I think it's worth it. After all, you wouldn't think folks could screw up Melissa, but you'd be surprised how many times I get called muh-LISA. Weird.