Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Relative Name Angst

Are any of your relatives unhappy with their names? Why are they unhappy? Do they use their middle names instead of their first names? Tell us what their middle and first names are. Have they legally changed their names? What are their new names? Have they chosen nicknames to replace the names they don't like? How did they get their nicknames and what are they?

Re: Relative Name Angst

Middle Name/First Name Switch:
    relatives that have used middle names instead of first names:
    me: middle name was Sue, now is Susan. Use Susan as my main name socially.
    father: name was Arthur Kenneth. Family called him Kenneth from the time he was born. He changed his name to Kenneth Arthur.
    grandmother: name was Clara May. Family and then everyone called her May. Legally she was Clara May.
    aunt: born Dorothy Elaine. Was called Elaine. Dropped the Dorothy when she got married.
    aunt: born Edith Grace. Became Grace.

Nicknames:
    me: for a long time I was Chuka.
    my brother: Tim put all different names on his driver's licenses including Mohammed McChurch. But that was just for fun. He really wanted me to name my son Mohammed. And my daughter Conchita. I really like Conchita. It means "little shell". But I didn't think either name went well with our last name.
    When my father would go to Mexico (he went often), he would have everyone call him his middle name Arturo because his first name Ken sounds a lot like the Spanish word Quien which in English means "who". If somebody asks you what your name is and you answer, who, it can lead to a lot of misunderstanding!

Didn't like their names:
    uncle: Kirby DeWit-didn't like either name, lives with his names.
    me: originally Deborah nn Debbie-didn't like it. Changed it.
    husband: Kent Andrew. Goes by Kent, doesn't like it, wishes his name were Andrew, will never change his name. I don't blame him. It would be hard at this point.
    mother: Helen. Never liked it but always has been Helen.
    uncle: born Benjamin Franklin Watkins. Changed his first name to his mother's maiden name Hilton.
    All this family name angst proves that it's good to really think about what name you're going to name your baby and hope that they like it! And that you like it so you don't end up calling them by their middle name.

- My grandma was Mabel till she was 14, then changed her name to Joyce. She didn't like being called May Belle by her classmates.
    - Husband and I both changed our last names when we got married. Normal for me, not for him. (A lot easier for a woman to change her last name than a man. He had to go to court and pay $300 in fees.) We still love both families, just have a new name that's only ours and has more meaning to us.
    - My Dad hates his middle name. It was his uncle's nickname (Kay, nickname for Kenneth) and he says it's a woman's name and only uses the initial. He'd never tell his mom, though.
    - Husband had no middle name till he was 3. Picked his Dad's name.
    - Aunt goes by her legal middle name, Robin. She was originally Lynn Robin. Her parents thought that Robin wasn't a woman's name, but a child's name and wanted her to have something more grown up. Aunt tried to change it to Lynn around age 16, but it didn't stick.
    (Everyone on my mom's side of the family would never think of changing their names. It just isn't done.)

-My great aunt Cleta Faye goes by Faye
    -My grandma Frances Norma Jean was called Norma Jean

Quote Originally Posted by sxia
    - My grandma was Mabel till she was 14, then changed her name to Joyce. She didn't like being called May Belle by her classmates.
    - Husband and I both changed our last names when we got married. Normal for me, not for him. (A lot easier for a woman to change her last name than a man. He had to go to court and pay $300 in fees.) We still love both families, just have a new name that's only ours and has more meaning to us.
    - My Dad hates his middle name. It was his uncle's nickname (Kay, nickname for Kenneth) and he says it's a woman's name and only uses the initial. He'd never tell his mom, though.
    - Husband had no middle name till he was 3. Picked his Dad's name.
    - Aunt goes by her legal middle name, Robin. She was originally Lynn Robin. Her parents thought that Robin wasn't a woman's name, but a child's name and wanted her to have something more grown up. Aunt tried to change it to Lynn around age 16, but it didn't stick.
    (Everyone on my mom's side of the family would never think of changing their names. It just isn't done.)
    I've never heard of a couple both changing their surnames! What did you pick? (Obviously, you don't have to say if you don't want to, I'm just curious.)
    I know a few people who always go by their nicknames, but the only other one I can think of is an uncle. He was named after his father, so went by his mn at home. When he went to university, people called him his real fn. My dad (his brother) didn't find this out for a few years, and so the family kept calling him his mn name. My grandfather passed away some time ago, so now my uncle is the only one with that name, but he gets called different things by different people, depending on when they knew him.
    We don't see him much, and I'm not sure what it would be best to call him ... so it's always just "Uncle" or "Um ... hey? Hey? Could you pass the salt? Yeah, thanks."