Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 102 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

What do you think of YOUR name?

As name fans, we probably all have a pretty strong opinion about our own name, and I thought it would be interesting to hear each other's stories. Do you love it or hate it? Do you know why it was chosen for you? Would you wish it were something else? Do you think it suits you?

I'll start. My name is Sophia Noemie. I was named after my mom's grandmother Sophie, and my middle name is a family name on my father's side (my ancestors were French). I grew up really loving my name. I'm in my mid-twenties so when I was little there wasn't nearly as many Sophia's as there are today. In fact, I did not know any. I loved it as a kid because I thought it was original and girly, and I still love it today because I think it's a good balance between sweet and feminine, but also adult-like and serious. I've been told my whole life that it suits me perfectly. As for my middle name, I like it because it's unique (although it's an established name in France) and it honors my family's cultural heritage. I also really enjoy the fact that both my names have a family meaning.

The only thing I don't like about my name is how popular it's become. Its level of popularity today is nowhere near what it was when my parents chose it. My mom says she's always been really happy with her choice, but she wishes it never made it to the top of the charts. Oh well, I guess I have the benefit of being far from the trendy generation.

What about everyone else?

Re: What do you think of YOUR name?

my name is Lyndsay Jenness, I have mixed feelings. I was born in 1985, so there was almost always a L i/y nds a/e y in my class. I don't know why exactly, but I always completely hated my name. I hated that it was spelled different than everyone else and so I could NEVER find anything personalized. I didn't so much mind that it was popular. But no one ever spelled it right. My aunt still can't spell it right. I've had to spell my name out to people more times in my life than you would even believe. Also, even though it's common, so many people thought I was either Nancy or Wendy. And I'm white and from a Mexican community so substitutes and people would always pronounce it "Leen-say" which was terribly annoying.

On the other hand, I absolutely love my middle name. It's a family name and the number of compliments I've gotten on it help balance out my first name.

I've seen my mom's name list, I don't remember all of the names, but Elizabeth was one of her favorites, and Grace. Either of those would have suited me better... but what I really should have been named was Lulette, after my mother's grandmother who she absolutely adored. It would have suited me perfectly and been so much more beautiful and original. Oh well, it will be my first daughter's name, no question about that!

Anyway, I don't hate my name anymore. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, that's for sure, but I don't hate it like i once did. I actually like my spelling now, it's the only one I like, actually. I don't mind so much with an "i", but Lindsey with an "e" drives me nuts... unless it's on a guy, that is, then that's pretty hot.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I'm Megan Ruth - which I didn't like as a child but really like now. I used to want a more "unique" name. But I work in healthcare and Megan is a easy name for patients to remember/pronounce. My parents really love my name and that makes it special too I guess. But mostly I like it because I am named Ruth after my grandma who I am very close to.

I'm Melissa Laurie. Melissa was just a name that both of my parents liked and Laurie is my mom's name.

When I was younger, I didn't like Melissa. I always was into names and wanted to be named something else. I decided to go by "Missy", even though my parents discouraged it, and was called Missy until I graduated high school and switched back to Melissa.

Now I love my name and think it's very feminine and pretty and fits me well. I cannot believe I used to go by Missy because it's so childish to me now. Of course I love names and there are plenty of names that I would rather have then Melissa, but I like it.

I'm Melissa too, which is part of the problem, yes? It's a pretty name, but just too common. I tried Missy for about 30 seconds but couldn't handle it; my close friends call me Mel, but I wouldn't want to use it on a daily basis. I always wanted a name that was just a little more interesting, which is probably why I'm so adamant about choosing unusual-but-not-weird names for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by miracle
    I'm Melissa Laurie. Melissa was just a name that both of my parents liked and Laurie is my mom's name.

When I was younger, I didn't like Melissa. I always was into names and wanted to be named something else. I decided to go by "Missy", even though my parents discouraged it, and was called Missy until I graduated high school and switched back to Melissa.

Now I love my name and think it's very feminine and pretty and fits me well. I cannot believe I used to go by Missy because it's so childish to me now. Of course I love names and there are plenty of names that I would rather have then Melissa, but I like it.