Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Some of the meanings are wrong

Elle was the "heroine" in the Reese Witherspoon movie Legally Blonde. Maybe that's what they were thinking of instead of clueless?
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

Someone suggested Zadie as a name for a baby girl(very cute and sounds like Sadie), but I think it would be great if Nameberry could mention that Zadie means grandpa in Yiddish!

Hello :)

I'd like to correct some meanings/information:

Noah (girl) - this spelling is absolutely legit for a girl! In Hebrew the girls name Noah is actually written with the Hebrew letter that is generally translated as an H, the same that is also used to spell Sarah. So this is not a "boys names for girls" kind of situation. Noa is how people chose to spell it to differentiate it from what is a boys name in the US, but Noah is just a legit for a girl as Noa.

You might be interested to know, that NO-a is strictly feminine in Israel and even the number one girls name there. The male form has a completely different meaning and spelling (in Hebrew) and is pronounced NO-ach there (the ch is one of those deep in the throat sounds). It got translated as NO-a and became common in the US.

Kaia doesn't mean earth in Greek. Gaia does. Kaia is a Scandinavian form of Katherine and means pure. It's spelled Kaja there and pronounced KAH-ya.

Hope you can add this information! You're doing a great job with the site!

(sorry if this thread was supposed to be dead....)
    Hello...
    My sister, whose name is Siri, discovered when she went to Kenya two years ago that her name is not only a pet form of Sigrid meaning "fair victory" (or beauty and victory as all the Norwegian name books say) but also "Secret" in Swahili! Perhaps that could be added to the Siri entry?
    thanks!
    Resident Norwegian, feel free to ask any questions regarding lovely Norse names and such! I'm more than happy to help ^^

Maeva + Everild + Rosa + Nimue + Ondine + Anaïs + Ophelia + Clio + Ariadne + Nona + Persephone + Lux
    Ambrose + Jorah + Philo + Silas + Orpheus + Hallam + Idris + Leonidas + Orion + Emrys + Graeme + Laszlo

Pearl + Valentine + Noble + Bloom + Prosper + Starling + Wren + Forest + Boone + Evening + Hero + Vesper + Royal

Quote Originally Posted by dearest
    (sorry if this thread was supposed to be dead....)
    Hello...
    My sister, whose name is Siri, discovered when she went to Kenya two years ago that her name is not only a pet form of Sigrid meaning "fair victory" (or beauty and victory as all the Norwegian name books say) but also "Secret" in Swahili! Perhaps that could be added to the Siri entry?
    thanks!
    Thanks--I did add the additional meaning.