Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Some of the meanings are wrong

Hey! I really love your site but I wanted to correct/add a few things:

Maja - this is also the German, Slovene and Scandinavian form of Maya and pronounced MY-ah. It's quite popular in Germany, Slovenia (Top 10), Sweden (Top 10) and Norway.

Anja - this is not really an exotic spelling. it is the traditional German spelling of Anya, pr. AHN-ya and very popular in Germany (from the 70s until the mid 80s).

Ronja - you write that this name "has a ninja feel" which is probably because you're mispronouncing it. It is pronounced RON-ya or ROHN-ya and a popular name (top 100) in Germany, Finland, Norway and Sweden. It was indeed used by Astrid Lindgren, but probably not invented by her. It was used in a book called "The Candlesticks and the Cross" by Ruth Freeman Solomon as Ronya, long before Lindgren's book was released. It is a form of the Hebrew name Ronia/Roniya which means "joyful song of god" (same as Roni, Ronit) or the Russian pet form of Veronica and Roxana (just as Sonia is the Russian pet form of Sophia, Anya of Anna etc)

Daisy - does it really mean "pearl"? As far as I know it just means "daisy" or "day eye". It is true that it was used as a pet form for Margaret (which means "pearl") but the reason it was used as a pet name for Margaret is because "Marguerite", the French form of Margaret literally means "daisy" in French. But Daisy doesn't mean "pearl".

Ilma - this also means "air" in Finnish. It is quite fashionable in Finland, as a nature name.

Charis - this is pronounced more like "HAH-ris" is Greek. The H is one of those back in the throat sounds. It's one of my favorites, so I asked one of the professors at my university who teaches Greek to pronounce it for me.

Richart isn't the German form of Richard. We spell it just like you do. Richard.

Re: Some of the meanings are wrong

Thanks! Fixed/adjusted those. Always happy to get name news from other cultures -- very difficult to get accurate on-the-ground information from another country, even when you speak the same language.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

hey, I just wanted to add a few things:

Mignon - this is not used in France as a name at all. It is the French word for "cute" or "delicate" and it sounds really weird as a name to someone who speaks French. It is also the male form of the word, the feminine form would be "mignonne". I highly recommend not using this as a name, especially not if you ever intend to go to France. It would sound ridiculous there. If you like the sound of Mignon I would suggest using the similar sounding Manon, which is pretty and actually used as a name in France (top 100).

It's the same with Chrie. chri/chrie (male, female) are French words that mean "darling, honey". not used as names. I know some celebrities in England etc have used Honey for their daughters but that wouldn't be done in France.

Oh and I thought it might be interesting for you to know that Gretchen (which sounds quite German to most Americans) is not used as a full name in Germany at all. I never met anyone named Gretchen. It was used in Germany about 200 years ago but has been rather unheard of since. It has (as far as I know) never been used as a full name. It is a nickname for Margarethe. Even Gretchen's most famous namesake (Gretchen in "Faust") just used Gretchen as her nickname. Her full name as revealed in the book is Margarethe.

I noticed that under Elle, (the Pick of the Day today and beautiful name!) it said that she was the "charming heroine of the movie Clueless." I'm not sure how many versions are out there, but I'm pretty sure the character Alicia Silverstone played was named Cher. Just thought I should let you know (and maybe be enlightened myself to a different Clueless movie!)

Quote Originally Posted by samantha k
    I noticed that under Elle, (the Pick of the Day today and beautiful name!) it said that she was the "charming heroine of the movie Clueless." I'm not sure how many versions are out there, but I'm pretty sure the character Alicia Silverstone played was named Cher. Just thought I should let you know (and maybe be enlightened myself to a different Clueless movie!)
    You're right! Thanks. Fixed.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry