Names Searched Right Now:
Page 114 of 136 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 124 ... LastLast
    Tycho - Tycho Brahe? It's not like he was a piddly nobody in the world of astronomy or anything. Plus, it's being used: it's ranked #151 in the Netherlands (according to 2011 data)

Cassander - masculine form of Cassandra, name of a king of Macedon, and generally awesome

Gratian - name of a saint and a Roman emperor. Plus, with the option to use the stylish nickname "Gray," it's a nice alternative to the tiresome Grayson/Greyson/Graydon/Greydon

Europa (+ several other Eu- girls' names! I'll give special mention to Eudoxia, since I'm digging it right now) - it's the name of a moon! all moons should have pages

Svea - Swedes are into it (ranked #78 in 2011), and it's been in use for at least a few centuries.

Runa - Feminine form of Rune
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

Also, re: some behind-the-times info, Rory's boy-to-girl ratio is different than it was back when the entry was written (going off data from 2006-2009, it's accurate). From the 2011 data, though, the ratio is now about 59:41 in favor of the boys.

Marieke. It's a Danish variant of Mariel. There's an Australian writer named Marieke Hardy.
    TTC #1

Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by egilona View Post
    Also, re: some behind-the-times info, Rory's boy-to-girl ratio is different than it was back when the entry was written (going off data from 2006-2009, it's accurate). From the 2011 data, though, the ratio is now about 59:41 in favor of the boys.
    That figure may change again when the 2012 list comes out about a month from now, so maybe we should wait to see what it is then. Based on my prediction from the trends on the BabyCenter lists (which although an unofficial list does tend to indicate trends a name is taking) Rory will be up more for boys and about the same or down for girls (the former up with namesakes like Rory McIlroy and the latter going down as Gilmore Girls fades into memory).

Quote Originally Posted by egilona View Post
    Wow I couldn't believe it's so even in the US! I know this is slightly off topic... I checked the 2011 E&W data quickly and the ratio of boy Rorys to girls is 194:1. 99.5% male! In Scotland I could only find 1 female Rory born since 2007. Sorry for the outburst of stats

I know NB is a US site but it'd be nice to have more info pertaining to other countries
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon