Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

why so many ads lately?!?!

I've been off the site for a while but I just came back a few days ago and I've been checking the forums periodically from my phone and computer. The advertisements are outrageous! I have to click out of 5 ads on my phone before I can even scroll down the screen! It's never been like this on this site before, what happened?!

Hi @Asche926 -- You're right, there are more ads at the moment, especially on the phone. We are testing a new ad system and it's been a challenge trying to get the balance right -- a few weekends ago there were almost NO ads on mobile and last night it was over the top, at least for me. The big reason it can't be fixed instantly is that each individual sees different ads in different numbers depending on where they live, what device they're using, how they've been cookied in the past, so even if I (or you) see too many ads or none, that might not be happening across the board and it takes a few days to show up in statistics in a way that it can be fixed. Frustrating but please bear with us -- we will get the balance right.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

There's an ad for Jif peanut butter that's particularly obnoxious. I only see ads when I'm on mobile, and this ad blocks the entire page and doesn't go away.
    Helen / Alice / Jane / Mary / Rose
    Sam / James / Theo / Edward / Ciarán

Thanks Pam!

You are right southern maple, that ad is huge and persistent!

I keep getting the one for Jif peanut butter also, and one for Purina dog food. Every time I click on a link, an Ad takes over the page.
    Mom to Noemi Xochitl *5/19/14*

Favorite names at the moment:

Azucena*Josefina*Sarai*Solana*Valeria*Ximena

Cenon*Enrique*Gabriel*Isaiah*Josiah*Zacarias