Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can we stop with the hate?

I know these posts are rather famous on nameberry but in the last couple of weeks I've seen more and more pop up.
    Which names do you hate, which nn do you hate, what names can you not stand, etc.
    Some people are being sensitive and reply with "I don't hate any but I dislike ..." but others say things like "this name makes me sick to my stomach" or "I feel like throwing up just looking at the name", etc. and, while I'm all for freedom of speech, I don't think this is acceptable.
    Many people that come on here have kids who have names and nicknames, who are real people, and even though I don't have kids, it must feel awful when you hear that someone would rather jump off a bridge than say their name out loud (epspecially when it already feels bad when it's just a favourite).
    Can we stop with all this hate please?

While I genuinely do hate some names, I do think the amount of hate posts is a bit overkill. I have posted to a couple of them, but try not to exaggerate or go too overboard.
    I do believe people have the right to express their feelings towards a nams, but I agree we should all be a little less harsh.

People have opinions. Some names do make me feel sick so I am sure that there are others that experience this too. As long as it is not threatening or targeted at a specific person, I see no point in not being honest.
    [ Samson Hugo ][ Igor John ][ Ingo Julius ][ Toby Nathaniel ]
    [ Alba Jessamy ] [Edie Oceane ][ Emeline Hope ][ Ffion Mary ]
    [ Grace Jemimah ][ Julia Robin ][ Kitty Johanna ][ Llio Kerensa ]

@whirligig of course people have opinions but if someone would say "the name Ottilie makes me want to throw up. Last week I've met one and I almost had to excuse myself because it was just so ugly hearing it", while you have a little Ottilie sleeping next to you, it would make you angry (or maybe not you but some more sensitive people). Nameberry is such a beautiful community but then those posts ruin that for me, why spread hate and negativity? Why not comment on the names you like and leave the rest alone? Why not at least say "I don't hate but dislike / those are not my style"?
    Things I hate are war and murder and cancer, I would never put a name on the same level as those things.
    Polly

looking for second middles:
    Rose Wilhelmina / Penelope Ada / Flora Charlotte

already loving:
    Elliott Victor Frederick / Ophelia Rosalind Clara / Hugo Kasimir Edmund / Arthur Caspian Henry

when they're little:
    Rosie, Pippa, Fleur, Ottie, Elphie, Huey & Artie

It's not the general which-do-you-hate threads that bother me; it's when people are overly negative on other threads, saying a name is "dreadful" or that a nickname "makes no sense" (I've seen both )
    I can't think of any witty name quotes, so this will have to do.