Names Searched Right Now:
Page 22 of 141 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Re: What names have we missed?

Don't know if i have mentioned it before but the name Evelyn (Ivelin) is a male one in Bulgaria and also pretty popular with cousin Ivaylo(spelled ee-vay-lou)

A few that I have noticed, and the meanings I have found for them:

Amba - Mother, compassionate (Sanskrit)

Dea - Goddess (Latin)

Gioele - Italian version of Joel

The name Crosby. You have it for a boy, but my best friend who is a girl is named Crosby.

also magitha.

The entry for Niall seems to suggest that it is just a different way to spell Neil. All the guys named Niall I've ever met (ok, so I've only met 2) have pronounced their name NY-al. Like the brother on the TV show Fraser, Niles, but without the s.

Its probably also worth noting that while the name Fraser is indeed popular in Scotland, over here it is almost always pronounced 'Fray-zer'- never 'Fray-shur', which is thought to sound effeminate.

Marilda and Marildia.

I mentioned some weeks ago for a name similar or near to Marilyn for a poster, recalling a sign of a hair salon near my home. Since then, I have been trying to research my ancestors and came across the name Marildia (not my ancestor, though). I plugged Marilda and Marildia in the search engine and came up with plenty of folks with either variation.

I do not know the meaning or the origin (I do not remember which branch of my family tree I was looking at). I wish I did know. It seems to be related to Esmeralda, but I have no way of knowing for certain. Matilda also has some variations that seem close because the T is exchanged for another letter. Another site also lacks an entry for this name but suggests "Merletta" or names like Merle and Merrill. I think Esmeralda or even a regional variant of Mary or Maris are likelier.

I'm not sure how I feel about these names either - sort of close-ish to Matilda that it might appeal to people, or kind of extra-crusty old-fashioned and/or ethnic that only appeals to a hardcore extra-crusty-name-loving few. Marilda seems nicer, just fancy enough not to seem "way out there", and still has that unique flavor of an uncommon name, while Marildia seems a little over-loaded; it's just an I, but it makes such a difference. It sure would be a cool, interesting new way to honor a Mary in your family (especially if it is related to Mary).