Names Searched Right Now:
Page 118 of 139 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 ... LastLast
    Do we have anywhere to comment on entries that we think are wrong?

I note that Miley is listed as a modern invented name and it most certainly isn't.

It's an old British surname (probably a form of Miles). It was the maiden name of one of my British ancestors, and when I searched on the UK Ancestry site to see if Miley had ever been used as a first, I discovered it had and more than you probably think. I found boys and girls named Miley as far back as the early 1800s.

Definitely not a new name!
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

Whitman is listed as a girl's name... why? It's a surname, so I guess it could be unisex, but the meaning is "white man", it ends in "man", and the most famous namesake is a man (Walt Whitman). There is no entry for Whitman as a boy's name (which one would more intuitively assume it is). You even wrote "Whitman, a namesake surname for poet Walt, would be much more suited to a boy, probably because of that "man" part. It might be preferable to revive the retired Whitney." So obviously it should be listed in the boys' section, too. Teila, a female English name meaning 'duck' or 'blue-green' is also not in the database.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Messalina
    Semiramis
    Halliwell
    Miku
    Itsuki
    Misaki

And I guess it's not technically a baby name, but I always thought if I had a son I'd want to name him after my home state, Kentucky, which isn't in the database. If Tennessee and Alabama are usable, why not Kentucky?
    No children yet, but my pets' names are:

Maddy Luna
    Near Riley Nate River
    Shanghaied by Sherlock
    Piper Soleil Nicholetta
    Whisper Tsuki Nikita
    Bailey Berry
    Birkin
    Whimsy

I think Vanderlyle is a completely made up name by Matt Berninger, the frontman of the band The National, but it just sounds awesome. There's Vander, and there's Lyle, so maybe it could be a variation for them.

Adua is an old-school iItalian name, used especially when we used to conquer other places. I also heard Olanda, but the entry is bare. I believe that it's basically a misspell for Iolanda, but it is also the translation of Holland in Italian. Another Italian oldie is indeed Isolina, which is not featured as sraexx suggested.
    Irene; Name lover in her twenties; single; Languages student by day, writer by night.

Current favorites, not in order:
    Emily - Evelyn - Hadley - Alice - Emma - Olivia - Zoey - Greta - Eden - Jezebel - Zelda - Anna - Charlotte
    Ethan - Adam - William - Peter - Harvey - Galen - Kenneth - Kieran - Theo - Zander - Daniel - Ezra - Gabriel - Blake

The National's Names List

Peculiar Italian Names for Girls

I haven't had a chance to read all 60 pages of this, so maybe it has already been mentioned, but Olivet is not merely a variant of Olive/Olivia. It is a biblical place-name from the Gospels.