Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help with a Pretty girls name that isn't too common?

I need to come up with a girls name that my husband and i both love.
    Our son's name is Christopher and we love that we can shorten it to Chris and it still sounds good for a baby or an adult.
    If we have a boy this time we are fairly sure we like Benjamin, will go the same way and be Ben for short.

so we are looking for a girls name that-
    Is pretty
    Isn't used often
    Isn't too made up or out there
    Doesn't end in an e sound (our last name is Shirley)
    Can be shortened, i like something that sounds grown up but when shortened suits a child
    Isn't too grandma like.

i will appreciate all your suggestions
    xoxox
    Kim

Re: Help with a Pretty girls name that isn't too common?

Honestly, the first name to pop into my head upon reading your requirements was : Laura. It's classic, not used much. Definitely not grandma-ish! The only problem is it's not shortened much. Lori/Laurie's passe and Lola's not very 'little kid' like!
    So, digging through my lists, here's some other suggestions that might work for you:

Margaret - Meg, Maggie, Greta, Daisy & Pearl are some possible nicknames ~
    Vivian - Viv or Vivvy are peppy, V also works.
    Josephine - Jo, Josie, Effie & Poppy are a few nicknames that I can see on an adult as well as a child.
    Clara - Clare works as a nickname.
    Cassandra - Cassie's lovely.
    Eleanor wouls be stunning! Elle, Ellie, Nora, Noor. (there's also variants Elinor & Elanor for use that are even *less* common!)
    Georgia/Georgiana - Gigi, Gia, Georgie?
    Helen/Helena - Nell is beautiful
    Kathleen - Yes, Kate works, as does Kat, Kit, Kitty and even Lena.
    Frances/Francesca - Francie, Fran, Frankie?
    Anne - Did you know simple Anne ranked 517 last year? Annie works on all ages, but you could also nickname her Anya.
    Belinda - could be Bella!
    Just thought of another: Cecilia! Cece, Celia, Ceil, they all work on a child and an adult and Cecilia's really not very common. Not too grandma-ish either!

I don't know if these strike you as Grandma-ish or not, I have run across a handful of little girls named these (I live near Boston) and have a 4 year old Josephine myself. Any one of these names would fit in with current trends and still stand out due to popularity!

Hope that helped, Good Luck!
    Mama to Leo Sebastian, Simon Ambrose, Josephine Rosamel &
    Angel: 05/09/11

Visit my blog: www.lolamac.wordpress.com

I really like both Christopher and Benjamin. Here are a couple of girls names that I thought of when I read your criteria:

*Elizabeth - it's a classic like Christopher. Maybe a bit too common for you but it has such terrific nicknames.
    *Catherine/Katherine - another classic with good nickname possibilities.
    *Margaret - Maggie, Meg, Polly
    *Eleanor - Ella, Ellie
    *Louisa - Lou, Wheezy :)
    *Susannah - Susie, Sue, Sukie, Anna
    *Samantha - Sam
    *Abigail - Abby
    *Alexandra - Alex, Lexi
    *Jacqueline - Jackie, Jack
    *Gabrielle/a - Gaby,Ellie, Ella
    *Penelope - Penny
    *Rebecca - Becca, Becky
    *Rachel
    *Anneliese - Anna, Anne, Annie
    *Charlotte - Charlie
    *Caroline - Carrie
    *Camille/a - Cami
    *Lillian - Lily
    *Tabitha - I love the nickname Abby for Tabitha
    *Evelyn - Evie is a great nickname
    *Jillian - Jill, Jilly
    *Emmeline - Emma, Emmy
    *Audrey

Julia, Claire, Rachael, Rebecca, Anna, Alice, Vivian, Veronica, Charlotte (getting popular), Theresa, Caroline, Georgia, Eleanor, Natalie, Laura, Laurel, Evelyn, Beatrice, Celeste, Sylvia, Iris, Bianca, Matilda, Esme, Claudia, Daphne, Phoebe, Annika, Natalia, Melina, Penelope, Tessa, Susannah, Leandra, Jocelyn, Josephine, Jacquelie, Giselle, Lillian, Lucy (Lucia/Lucinda/Lucille),and Grace (getting too popular as a middle name).
    Some of these sound like antiques, others are slightly dated. Some don't appeal to everyone, but hope you enjoy this list in some way! My favorites are Anna, Claire/Clara, Phoebe, Eleanor, Vivian, Veronica, Natalie, Laura (my daughter's name), Celeste, Annika, Lillian (Lily) oh, Lillian/Lily is very popular-sorry, Josephine, and Jocelyn and Lucy.

There are so many beautiful names here thank you.
    I guess it makes it even harder with so many family and friends with similar names.

we are starting to narrow things down, im stuck for middle names as well hehe

we are liking at the moment-
    Abigail (hubby loves, i like) shortened to Abby
    Alexandra shortened to Lexi or ally or alex (i love Alexis but hubby doesn't)
    Annabella but i really dont like Anne or Anna for a shortening so perhaps Bella?
    Gabriela to Gabby
    Evangeline to evy?

But then what do we do for middle names.
    with Shirley as our last name non of the A names can have an S middle name or the initials would be ass