Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Geezer names for girls

I love how it says not to use those names for boys. If a name sucks- save it for a girl!

Really, I don't think Lawrence, Arthur, etc. are that bad for boys, but I would HATE to be a girl named something like that. I hate the idea that anything 'uncool' can be made cool again by applying it to a girl. I hate the trend for using masculine names on girls. Every name site or name book will advise against using any name that isn't hyper-masculine for a boy, but they suggest MALE names for girls. I guess you can call a girl whatver you want, just like a dog, but make sure boys don't get stupid names.

It's sexist. Sorry, but the idea that boys deserve good names and girls can get whatever you think is 'cool' even if it's hard to live with is just an extension of the idea that boys are people and girls are just cute fashion accessories.

Re: Geezer names for girls

You know what, I think that's an excellent point. And overall, you can get so caught up in choosing a cool name that you can forget what that's going to be like for the little person, male or female, who's got to live with your "cool" choice. Yet, I do think that a name like Murray, for instance, sounds really fresh and warm and strong when a female has it -- and I do have a friend (female) with that name -- whereas there are so many old man Murrays that it just feels different for a baby boy.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

You know what, I think that's an excellent point. And overall, you can get so caught up in choosing a cool name that you can forget what that's going to be like for the little person, male or female, who's got to live with your "cool" choice. Yet, I do think that a name like Murray, for instance, sounds really fresh and warm and strong when a female has it -- and I do have a friend (female) with that name -- whereas there are so many old man Murrays that it just feels different for a baby boy.
    One time I was talking to a friend about names which sound better when applied to the opposite gender, and she mentioned a name that goes the other way (is more common for girls but she likes for a boy). She mentioned that she likes the name Kelly, but for a boy; in her opinion she thinks that name sounds somewhat "fresh" again when applied to a male.

Edited to add: I noticed that the quote tags aren't working properly.

I really don't like geezer names for girls. I think they take the frivolity out of life. There was a stunningly beautiful girl at my art school and she was dating the head of the fine arts department. Her name didn't fit her-it was Peter, not that Peter is a geezer name, but still! There are so many beautiful names out there for girls that if I were a little girl and had a geezer name, I would be disappointed. Especially if my best friend were named Vivienne or Cecily and my name were Murray or whatever! But to each her own. I do like many androgenous names like Shiloh, for instance. Of course I wouldn't use them myself for a girl because I love feminine names.

You know, I actually think that's a great point. My daughter's name is Rory and when she was 4 or so she was really pissed off because she had a "boy's name." And if I had known I would have only one daughter I might have chosen something more feminine....
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry