Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: My babies and why they have their names...

My son is Peter Sebastian. He is 22 years old. I wanted to name him Ian Alexander, Evan Alexander or Jackson Alexander. Or even Hunter. My husband said he hated all those names. I said, what do you like, classic names? I told him my favorite classic name is Peter. He said he loved Peter. So by the time I was maybe eight weeks pregnant, we had our baby's first name all set if it was a boy. And he was! To make up for not liking any of my original choices, my husband said I could pick any middle name I wanted. So I picked Sebastian. At the time my husband hated that choice but kept his mouth shut about it, but now he likes it okay. Peter Sebastian loves both his names fortunately. Then we got pregnant again. It was very important to me that my husband would like our children's names because my mom picked my name and my father hated it. Susan was my middle name-I will not tell you my first name because I don't want to offend anybody. So I kept asking my husband if he liked this name or that name and he only wanted to name a girl Laura after his grandmother. He was adament. I found it very healing for me when my daughter was born to let my husband choose her first name. Then I picked her middle name-Elizabeth-because when all was said and done, I decided that Elizabeth is my favorite girl's name plus we have a ton of Elizabeths on both sides of the family. Laura Elizabeth loves both her names now that she is a teenager and does not like many of the name choices that I was thinking of when I was pregnant. Laura has more frilly/girly classic taste than I have.

The baby name gurus want to know how I picked my kids' names? Somebody pinch me!

I have an eight year-old boy, Spencer Kennedy, and a 5 year-old girl, Macy Kathryn. Spencer was simply always a favorite, and I had a great Uncle Spence I have very fond memories of. Kennedy was the maiden name of Dad's grandmother; bonus points for paying homage to JFK and JFK Jr.

Macy I was attracted to the first time I heard it, for reasons I can't even articulate very well; it just sounds so bright and shiny, stylish but not trendy. And, I really love surnames. My brother is Wayne, and since both of our names were originally surnames, I thought it'd be nifty to stay in that vein. Plus, I do think sib's names should be somehow similar in style.

Neither name was in even the top 100 (REALLY important), and Pam and Linda's favorable reviews sealed the deal!

I had intended for Macy's MN to be Katherine, a hard "K" sound like her brother's MN. At the hospital my mom suggested I spell it "Kathryn," and I was medicated enough to be happily agreeable. I could've done worse: any more Demerol and I would have agreed to name her Rainbow Sprite.

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    Well, my kids range in age from 22 to 4 but their names are:

Leo Sebastian Coe & Simon Ambrose Nash (22, twins)
    Leo & Simon were Uncles, Leo on my side, Simon on my partners. Sebastian was a Great Uncle of mine, Ambrose was his Grandfather. Coe is one of my family surnames, used on yet another Uncle and Nash was his mother's maiden name.

our daughter is Josephine Rosamel Anne (4)
    Josephine was my mother's oldest sister, Rosamel was my paternal Great Grandmother (bonus points, I knew her as a kid) and Her name was her mother's maiden name. Anne honors four different Aunts, two Anne's, one Ann and one Anna. I just prefer the Anne spelling over all others.

I grew up hating my name and so have been wondering if she will like hers, so far, I'm happy to say, she does. (I was choosing other names to be called by 2, she has never done that)
    Lola, you had me at keeping keeping boys' names for boys. Your kids' names are brilliant! Do people call your daughter Jo? Rosamel is one of the most intriguing choices I've ever heard, you should suggest it to Verity. So now I have to know: is your name really Lola??

Quote Originally Posted by allison
    The baby name gurus want to know how I picked my kids' names? Somebody pinch me!

I have an eight year-old boy, Spencer Kennedy, and a 5 year-old girl, Macy Kathryn. Spencer was simply always a favorite, and I had a great Uncle Spence I have very fond memories of. Kennedy was the maiden name of Dad's grandmother; bonus points for paying homage to JFK and JFK Jr.

Macy I was attracted to the first time I heard it, for reasons I can't even articulate very well; it just sounds so bright and shiny, stylish but not trendy. And, I really love surnames. My brother is Wayne, and since both of our names were originally surnames, I thought it'd be nifty to stay in that vein. Plus, I do think sib's names should be somehow similar in style.

Neither name was in even the top 100 (REALLY important), and Pam and Linda's favorable reviews sealed the deal!

I had intended for Macy's MN to be Katherine, a hard "K" sound like her brother's MN. At the hospital my mom suggested I spell it "Kathryn," and I was medicated enough to be happily agreeable. I could've done worse: any more Demerol and I would have agreed to name her Rainbow Sprite.
    LOL. It's funny the way everything, even baby names, looks different on the other end of childbirth.....
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Quote Originally Posted by allison
    Lola you had me at keeping keeping boys' names for boys. Your kids' names are brilliant! Do people call your daughter Jo? Rosamel is one of the most intriguing choices I've ever heard, you should suggest it to Verity. So now I have to know: is your name really Lola??
    No, Jo is rather verboten as I have 12 cousins named Joseph (for the same Gagi Josephine was named for) My mother's oldest sister was named Josephine for him and my daughter is named for her Great Aunt. joe, Jojo, Joey, Jobo, Jambo and F (yeah) are some of the various nicknames used by the Josephs. So Josephine goes by Josie, Effie, Fifi, or Fee, depending on her (and our) mood. Maybe I should suggest Rosamel to Verity but I really know my G/ Grandmother got it as a fluke, it really is a surname with not a lot of usage as a first/middle. Which is why Josephine has it in the middle (rather than has her first).

And for the record, my name is boring old Laura. My kid brother's been calling me Lola since he was 2, He couldn't say 'r's as a little kid and Laura came out low-la , hence Lola. My folks thought it was cute and let it stick. I've been Lola to my siblings (there are three of us), my other half and friends call me Lola as well. Only the school calls me Laura! :) So while it's not my name, it's as good as! <grin>
    Mama to Leo Sebastian, Simon Ambrose, Josephine Rosamel &
    Angel: 05/09/11

Visit my blog: www.lolamac.wordpress.com