Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I think Oceane/Océane is pretty and I like that it has meaning for you. I would pronounce it the French way. I'm not sure how usable it would be an English-speaking country though. I can imagine people pronouncing it all sorts of ways.

Regarding Océane's popularity in France I recommend looking at its page on the website Meilleurs Prénoms.
    http://www.meilleursprenoms.com/stat...tat.php/oceane
    It was rarely used before the 1980s and peaked in the year 2000. However, unless you live in France I don't see why this should be important.
    Last edited by lumen; January 11th, 2017 at 12:52 PM.

Go for it!!
    It having the same sound as your surname in the end wont be as much of a problem since it is going to be a middle name
    Id definitely pronounce it the french way too
    Even though you didnt exactly ask for our opinion, id like to add that i dont think Ocean is as mellifluous because of the way you pronounce it and its also too hippy for my tastes
    little ladies
    emiliana opal, irelyn elise, erica wyatt, alessia noelle, pomeline kaia, esme dominica, novalie katya, winter neve, tove elliot, artemis apple

young gentlemen
    lukas oliver, elias harry, wyatt johannes, emil leon, miles isak (EE-sak), mathias jake, lance phillip

Thank you all so much for your insights into Ocean/Oceane. It's now our number one for a girl! 6 weeks to go!

I'm an American living in France and Océane was at one point our top choice for our daughter's middle name (we ended up deciding to use a family honor name), so I was excited to see this post!

I can tell you that the French pronunciation is Oh-say-ahn. But this was NEVER the pronunciation I got running the name by English-speakers, and that's why I was considering it only as a middle name because I preferred a first name that wouldn't have pronunciation issues for either French or English.

To answer your other question, from discussing the name with people in France/on French baby sites, it does seem to have a trendy/dated early-2000s feel for French people (trendy because it is a non-traditional name that peaked rapidly, and then rapidly declined in use). But I don't think that will affect how it is perceived outside France, and I still think it's a pretty name and I like how it is tied to the ocean (my husband and I are also ocean/beach-lovers!). If not for the choice to honor a family member, I would still want to use it.

Thanks for your input Halloween-Jacqueline. I agree that most people wouldn't pronounce it correctly. The correct pronunciation is really cute!