Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mormon-culture names

If you know me from around the forums, you'll know I am uncomfortable giving away personal information on such a public forum (I do wish these were private forums that you could only see if you joined, but oh well), and I'm about to do just that. Meep.

I'm a Mormon, and have been considering for some time using a name from Mormonism for my future kids. So pretty much that would include Bible names, names from the Book of Mormon, or names of prophets/apostles/leaders of the church.

I want to have a nice balance of Mormon and normal, though, so I am hoping to get insight from both Mormons and non-Mormons alike.

Names I'm liking/considering include:

Hiram (Hyrum Smith and Hiram Page were both noteworthy Mormons in the early days of the church)
    Ezra (as in Ezra Taft Benson)
    Brigham
    Spencer (as in Spencer W. Kimball)
    Gordon (Gordon B. Hinckley)
    Thomas (Thomas S. Monson)

Eve
    Eden
    Sariah (a BoM woman)
    Emma (Joseph Smith, Jr.'s wife)
    Sophronia (JS Jr.'s sister)

And basically what I'm wondering is are these too Mormon? Is it eye-roll inducing or over the top?

And then, specifically to other Mormon Berries, I wanted to ask, what do you think of gender-bending these names?
    I love Sariah, for example, but there are so few girl names to choose from...would it be disrespectful to use Nephi on a girl, for example?

And how far can you go before the name is too Mormon? I love the symbolism behind the Liahona, but is Liahona as a name ridiculous?

These are just things that have been on my mind lately. I have a lot of other, more mainstream names that I love, but I've always had a soft spot for Mormon names.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Non-Mormon, here. Until your post I did not know there were names tied strongly to Mormonism. FWIW, I wouldn't think twice about the unusual names you mentioned, like Sophronia. So many people around me have more unusual names that that! In my non-Mormon mind it could be a family name, a greek name, a creative name, a blend of the mom & dad's names, anything really.

Hiram - I like this name but it does sound like "hear 'em." Which makes me wonder if there's a Bart Simpson joke about it.
    Ezra - one of my favorites.
    Brigham - this is the only one I connect to Mormonism. I like the sound. But for me, I prefer to avoid names I feel come preloaded with huge fame. So Brigham to me is similar to Lincoln or Amadeus or Moses in that I wonder how is a normal kid is going handle living under such a famous name?
    Spencer - Love this
    Gordon - Like this
    Thomas - a classic name

Eve - a classic name
    Eden - I used to have a huge crush on this name but it faded away. Still think its a pretty name.
    Sariah - I am leery b/c I think it will get confused into Sarah. Mispronounced names is a real pain so I try to avoid names that get confused easily with other, more popular names.
    Emma - I think celebrities when I think of this name. It's a popular name, I think.
    Sophronia (JS Jr.'s sister) - My first thought was that this is a new, cool way to get to NN Sophie. Aside from that, I have no idea how to pronounce it and it would take me a few repetitions before I could remember to pronounce it accurately. From a kid's perspective it might be a pain to repeat one's name all the time.
    Jane Pepper | Meryl Autumn | Esther Ruby | Thea Rose
    Seth Vaughn | Nico Lennix | Paul Auden | Miles Langston

I'm a non-Mormon, though I've encountered some Mormon relations in genealogical research. The only names most non-Mormons know are Joseph Smith & Brigham Young. I still think Brigham is a nice name, but that one will be strongly associated w/Mormonism. I have a non-Mormon gg grandmother named Sophronia. I think that was just a popular name back then.

The only one I'd recognize as Mormon, or that I associate with Mormonism is Brigham. All the other names are either common enough to not raise an eyebrow, or just sound like old fashioned names (which is very in, so again, no raised eyebrows). They're all nice names, imo. Sophronia is on my own list, and I'd love to see it used.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

I agree with other posters that most of these names are not blatantly connected to your religion, so the eye-rolling and sigh-inducing you're worried about will probably be avoided if you use any of these. Like others, them only one I would recognize right away would be Brigham, but it has a nice sound and kind of fits with a lot of boys names these days, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear it on a non-Mormon child either. I really love Ezra and Hiram.

I wouldn't use a boys' name on a girl, but that's a personal preference. All of the girl names on your list are lovely.