Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How to spell Madeline?

I'm due Christmas Eve. I like Madeleine/ Madeline Belle for a girl, but I want it to be pronounced Madalyn, without having to spell it that way. Any thoughts?

I like the Madeleine spelling best and I've seen it used for both the 'mad-a-line' and 'mad-a-lyn' pronunciations. I think you could use it (or Madeline) and get the desired pronunciation, you might just have to correct some people.
    - Evelyn - Alice - Margot - Edith - Maeve - Gaia - Martha - Etta - Beatrix - Talitha (Tallie) - Rosemary - Zinnia -

- Seth - Marcus - Stefan - Zephyr - Reuben - Christopher (Kit) - Eben - Malachi - Robin - Frederick (Freddie) - Caspar -

Madeleine is my vote. Love it.
    Love love talking names... my 'style' is more classic but I do love some surprising choices too...
    DD1 born April 2013 has a mainstream name honouring 4 lines of her heritage + 2 mns (2nd is my surname)

To me, the pronunciations work like this:

Madeline 'mad-uh-line'

Madeleine 'mad-uh-len/mad-len' (this is French and should be pronounced accordingly)

Any other pronunciation/spelling seems made up to me, but if you wanted 'mad-uh-lin' then the only spellings I can see working are:

Madelyn
    Madelin
    ~Boys~

★ August Eli Benedict ★ Bram ★ Casimir Mordecai ★ Edmond John Meirion ★ Gillon ★
    ★ Jory Leander ★ Julian Charles ★ Macsen ★ Magnus ★ Vasiliy ★

~Girls~

★ Aira Rose ★ Arietta ★ Clover ★ Delphina ★ Eleni ★ Fiorella ★ Hester Isobel ★
    ★ Iris ★ Lilah ★ Merit ★ Sylvia ★

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Madeleine definitely!

I see people saying spell it Madelyn if you want that pronunciation because Madeleine is Mad-Uh-Len but I really don't hear a big difference between Len, Lin and Lyn.

I guess Len is pronounced a little longer than Lyn!