Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sibling names with the same first letter: ok or not?

Maybe this discussion has happened before on here, forgive me I'm new!

I just had my first earlier this year (Adelaide Iria) and my husband and I def. want more! I love names and would like a big family, but most of my favorite names start with "A." To name a few....

Alaric
    Asher
    Archer
    Aston
    Atticus
    Autry
    Ayrton

Ainslie
    Ariadne
    Amory

Is is ok to have say, 4 or 5 siblings all starting with the same letter? Is it cheesy/gimmicky? Make you want to gag? Does it feel unoriginal? Let me know what you think!

I think it's okay as long as the names aren't too similar or too forced (like Khloe, for example). I do think that if you start the pattern then you should continue it for all of your children. I know someone who did this with their first three children and then chose something completely different for their fourth child. I wouldn't want one child to feel left out.

It feels cheesy to me, simply meaning I wouldn't do it myself. But I wouldn't necessarily think someone else had poor taste or was cheesy if they did it.

I think it's only okay if, like you, you have a vast collection of names you love starting with the same letter. I can't stand when the first few kids get beloved, awesome names and the later kids get... well, Jinger Duggar ring a bell? Or where the later kids end up with versions of the same name. I know a HUGE family of F names and they have a Felicia and a Felicity. That doesn't seem fair.

I like the "two is a coincidence, three is a theme" rule. If you give your second kid an A name because that's your favorite name, I don't think you have to give one to your third. But if you give kids 1-3 an A name, Kid 4 gets one too. Whether they want it or not I have 3 siblings. Sibs 1 and 3 have non-M names and sibs 2 and 4 have M names - only because those were the names my parents liked most. Since it's half and half, it doesn't feel like my parents were going for a theme and dropped it.
    Girls:
    Catherine/Kathleen, Susan/Susannah, Anne/Anna/Annabeth, Jane, Margaret/Marguerite, Rose/Rosemary, Cecile/Cecily, Flora/Laura, Gwendolen, Paloma, Tabitha, Lucille, Beatrice, Harriet

Boys:
    Frederick, Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy

thank you, that helps! It's always nice to get other's opinions

For me, having five children whose name all start with the same letter is a bit much, although four or less is fine. I think it can be quite sweet - King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands have three daughters, who are Amalia, Alexia and Ariane, meaning that all their first names start with the same letter. I also know a couple whose children are Allegra and Andrea (both girls), which I like together as well. From your list, I think Asher and Ariadne are my favourites with Adelaide.
    My name is Alice, but you can call me Adelina. I'm just another Teenberry who has an obession with names, royals, history and photography.

Adelina Sophia ♕ Magdalena Élisabeth ♕ Isla Aveline Ophelia Maeve
    Leo Xavier ♕ Alexander George ♕ Thomas Archie ♕ Nicholas Louis

See my girls and boys lists and new name blog!

Crushes: Léonie, Marielle, Athena, Delphine, Marianne, Jericho, Finley & Lucius
    GP Crushes: Adora, Estellise, Anise, Isabelino, Harvey & Valentino