Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Favourite words?

Hi! Not sure if this has been done or not, or if I'm just weird, but does anybody else have a few words or phrases that they particularly like? It may sound nice to you or have a weird meaning or something along those lines.

If so, like to share?

Paraphernalia, eloquent, caterpillar, folly, euphoniously, blasphemy, origami and phantasmagorical are some of mine just because they sound cool.

Some of my favourite words with weird and wonderful meanings include:
    aubade - A love song which is sung at dawn
    eumoirous - Happiness due to being honest and wholesome
    asoxography - a skilled writing on an unimportant taste
    aeolist - A pompous windy bore who pretends to have an imagination
    sabaism - The worship of stars
    aureate - Pertaining to the fancy or flowery words used by poets

No, I'm weird too and love certain words and can't help but giggle if I ever hear them, they aren't quite as fancy as yours but I still like them:
    Nib - like the nib of a pen, a student of mine once put his hand up in the middle of a test and said: "Miss, the nib of my pen just broke." and I just burst into weird little giggles.
    Abysmal
    Cascade
    Cashmere
    Clerical
    Commandeer
    Fawn and Fauna

I just like all the sounds to them, I'm not sure why I like nib though...

I don't know why but I also love the expression "Eee by Gum", I love saying it even though it sounds incredibly ugly and wrong when I say it because despite growing up in the North of England I don't have the accent so it sounds totally stupid coming out of my mouth.
    Beautiful baby girl who changed our world: Nettie Claudia Appleby ~ 25th of July 2014

Bryony|Lydia|Vera|Petra|Imogen|Sadie|Monica|Georgi ana|Anneliese|Zara|Clara|Adeline|Lois|Sophia|Elena |Aurora|Lucille|Erica|Mercy|Blythe|Felicity

Jude|Oscar|Xavier|Patrick|Bart|Felix|Nathaniel|Fre derick|Isaac|Evan|Theodore|Adam|Jasper|Callum|Ezra |Ezekiel|Henry|Samson|Niall|Percy|Barney|Seamus|Ha velock

If you're weird, then I am certainly weirder: I have 5 books (just counted then) solely devoted to obscure words- that's without counting all my thesaurus' and dictionaries of various topics. These are just some of my favourites (I could literally go on for hours)

Artolater- worshipper of bread (me, in other words.)
    Fard- To apply cosmetics to your face (excuse me, I'm just going to the bathroom to fard)
    Pumpernickel- Say it, it just sounds so great (hey, another bread related word )
    Slub
    Coulrophobia- fear of clowns. Me, which is ironic, considering I regularly perform in circus shows.
    Soap
    Cashmere
    Lavender
    Domino
    Flora
    Fauna
    Botanicals
    Shrub- I remember vaguely that in kindergarten, we each got asked for a word that started with 's'. Everyone pretty much either said school or snake. I said shrub, the teacher was so impressed and told my mum I was very advanced for my age. My mum told her my dad was a gardener.
    Oxter- another word for armpit, as well as another word for embracing with your arms (my, your oxters smell today)
    Toccata
    Sinistral
    Bibliopole- A book seller, particularly a seller of rare books
    Potholder
    Blasphemy- Especially great when a toddler says it. I taught my sister this when she was little, and I thought it was the funniest thing ever, when exclaimed with great enthusiasm.
    Chowderhead
    Tempera
    Fresco
    Adhesive
    Kitten
    Moo
    Wine-knight
    Soliloquy
    Caracole
    Trapezium
    Circle
    Organisational
    Hypocrite
    Anthropology
    Encyclopædia
    Dictionary
    Ridiculous
    Galloway
    Labrador
    Tabulation
    Sibilance
    Onomatopeia
    Thalassocracy
    Illuminate
    Money
    Dignity
    Tempestuous
    Eyeball
    Allegretto
    Clog
    Hippopotamus
    Labradoodle
    Sophrosyne
    Vorfreude
    Numinous
    Fernweh
    Erlebnisse
    Rasavada
    Bodhisattva
    Nefelibata

I could keep going, but I think I will stop there.
    Last edited by nooshi; August 13th, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I love the sound of these words:
    Cashmere
    Maybe
    Lake
    Ethereal
    Clowder
    Ailurophile

The last two are quite funny because I am an ailurophile and I will probably have a clowder of cats when I'm older, so it's a good job I like the sound of those words cos I will be hearing them a lot sometime in the future.

And this is my favourite sounding phrase:
    Cellar door
    Wiktoria Weronika • Polish Teenberry and Ailurophile

Antonina Zofia Aleksandra • Apolonia • Danuta • Elżbieta • Emilia • Katarzyna • Kornelia • Lillia • Maria • Natalia • Wera • Wanda
    Beniamin Jakub Antonin • Augustyn • Bartosz • Edward • Eliasz • Hugo • Józef • Kacper • Teodor • Tomasz • Wiktor • Zachary

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” - Dr. Seuss
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by mollydolally View Post
    No, I'm weird too and love certain words and can't help but giggle if I ever hear them, they aren't quite as fancy as yours but I still like them:
    Nib - like the nib of a pen, a student of mine once put his hand up in the middle of a test and said: "Miss, the nib of my pen just broke." and I just burst into weird little giggles....
    I don't know why but I also love the expression "Eee by Gum", I love saying it even though it sounds incredibly ugly and wrong when I say it because despite growing up in the North of England I don't have the accent so it sounds totally stupid coming out of my mouth.
    Haha, nib? That's cool.
    What does Eee by Gum mean?

Quote Originally Posted by nooshi View Post
    If you're weird, then I am certainly weirder: I have 5 books (just counted then) solely devoted to obscure words- that's without counting all my thesaurus' and dictionaries of various topics. These are just some of my favourites (I could literally go on for hours)
    ...Blasphemy - Especially great when a toddler says it. I taught my sister this when she was little, and I thought it was the funniest thing ever, when exclaimed with great enthusiasm....
    Omg I love your list! Thank you for sharing!
    Blasphemy is my favourite word to say out loud. I've started using it even in the wrong context. Never heard a toddler say it... must try it.

Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    I love the sound of these words:...
    The last two are quite funny because I am an ailurophile and I will probably have a clowder of cats when I'm older, so it's a good job I like the sound of those words cos I will be hearing them a lot sometime in the future.
    And this is my favourite sounding phrase:
    Cellar door
    Did you get Cellar Door from Donnie Darko or the primary source? Because I love Donnie Darko :P