Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Seeking Nirvana!

Hi! My name is Sharmaine. I'm currently 7 months along. My boyfriend and I haven't elected to be told our baby's sex; we would both rather keep the suspense intact until our child is born. If the baby is a boy, we have decided to name him Eric James after the baby's father, Eric, and my uncle James. On the other hand we are having some difficulty selecting (and agreeing upon) an ideal name for a baby girl. We both like Joy as a potential middle name.

I love the name Nirvana, and its' ethereal connotations. My boyfriend, however, has some reservations about this name (pop-culture references to the grunge-rock band Nirvana and its' late lead singer, Kurt Cobain.) Neither of us wants our daughter to dislike her name or get ridiculed for it by bullies among her future classmates and peers (eww.... you smell like teen spirit! etcetera.) But I keep gravitating back to this lovely word due to the Buddhist definitions:

As defined by Merriam-Webster Online:

nir·va·na noun, often capitalized \nir-ˈvä-nə, (ˌ)nər-\
    : the state of perfect happiness and peace in Buddhism where there is release from all forms of suffering

: a state or place of great happiness and peace

Full Definition of NIRVANA

: the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness
    a : a place or state of oblivion to care, pain, or external reality; also : bliss, heaven
    b : a goal hoped for but apparently unattainable : dream
    — nir·van·ic adjective

Here is a list of other girl names that I would consider as I find their sound and/or meanings particularly beautiful.

Indigo

Aiko - love child
    Amina - trusted
    Khadijah
    Khaliyah
    Kamilah
    Amirah - Princess
    Joy
    Naomi
    Aura
    Aurora
    Aurelie
    Aria
    Charlotte - free
    Mirembe - woman of peace
    Nnenne - mother of my mother
    Amara - grace
    Asha - life
    Zuri - beautiful
    Nadiyah - Announcer
    Niloufar - lotus
    Mal’aika
    Taisa / Thais / Taissa
    Natalia
    Kamala - lotus, pale red
    Nalini - lotus
    Tara - star, astral deity, feminine form of buddha
    Phoebe - bright, pure. associated with moon grandmother of Artemis.
    Amandine - much-loved, also an almond topping for French pastries.
    Cayenne

Please help! Feel free to make name suggestions out of the ones I have provided, or share your opinion about Nirvana. Yay, nays, and any of your reasons why. Thank you.

Last edited by sharmaine; August 11th, 2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typo

I know a Nirvana and I think it is a beautiful name! I had never heard of the band before so I'm assuming others wouldn't associate her name with it either. There are lots of lovely names on your maybe list, I love these the most:
    Indigo

Aura
    Aurora
    Aurelie
    Aria
    Charlotte
    Amara
    Zuri
    Nalini
    Tara
    Phoebe

Other suggestions: Aurelia, Atara, Delphine, Anouk, Tallulah

Good luck

Sorry i think people would immediately think of the band. They were great but I wouldn't want to be named after them. You have very different taste in girls names to your choice for a boy. I like Naomi the most.

Thank you so much, Brynie and Jakki!

I would pass on Nirvana. Besides the band reference and potential use of the name in sexual jokes as a teenager, the fact that it's an important part of a religion turns me away from the name. But, I'm also not fond of names like Bishop, Cohen, and Messiah for the same sort of reason; I feel like it takes something that people find sacred and makes it mundane. Just my opinion though, as others love those types of names.

Some of the ones I like off your list: Amirah, Joy, Naomi, Aurora, Aurelie (but be prepared for potential sexual jokes during the teenage years), Indigo, Aria, Taisa / Thais / Taissa, Charlotte, Tara, Phoebe, Natalia

Other suggestions: Rhea, Maia, Thalia, Minerva, Avani, Mireille
    Ottilie | Colette
    Erik | Anders | Heath | Cole

GP: Ophelie | Viviette | Mireille (prn: meer-Ay; for a mn)