Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Odette & Otto

Odette & Otto

We are going to start TTC this fall, and I'm always thinking about names (obviously!), so I asked my husband what he would name a baby girl right now. He answered, "Odette". It's a name we've casually mentioned before, but I was pretty surprised! Especially considering our boy name is "Otto".

Now, I think most would consider Odette and Otto to be too closely related both in etymology and looks & sound. I certainly do! I really like them both (we want about 4 children), but wouldn't be able to use them both with my name OCD.

Which do you prefer? And then what names would you recommend in place of the other? Our daughters' names are my signature.

Thanks Berries!
    Last edited by kelchristmas; August 6th, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Mommy to Rosamund ~ March 2011 & Elowen ~ June 2013

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above" ~ James 1:17

I think I prefer otto for a boy, very cute. How about Olivia for a girl?

Ooh I love them both. I really do. Currently crushing on Odette, but Otto is strong and handsome. The only thing I don't like is that it sounds like auto, and also some ppl have suggested it would make a better pet name. If all else were equal, I would use whichever one came first (boy or girl), because you never know what the future may hold. And even if there were a guarantee, your tastes may change anyway!
    Esme ~ Gwyneth ~ Hazel ~ Margot ~ Penelope ~ Sylvie ~ Thea ~ Vesper
    Archer ~ Donovan ~ Ezra ~ Julian ~ Leo ~ Rhys ~ Theo ~ Vincent

I adore Odette! I think Rosamund, Elowen, and Odette are fabulous. Between the two, I definitely would keep that. Then again, I have had a hard time seeing the appeal in Otto ever since I read a story that included a Nazi officer named Otto who was exceedingly cruel... it ended up that his "cruelty" was a show to convince the Nazis whilst he aided the Jewish Underground's cause, but I still can't seem to get that Nazi hate and hostility and cruelty out of my head every time I hear Otto. I'm not sure about an alternative--are there any other boys' names you like? I feel like it's hard to give suggestions based off of one name. But maybe something like:

James
    Harvey
    Harley
    Julian
    Edwin
    Lawrence
    Peter

Good luck!

@ashthedreamer

Some other boy names that I like are Hugo, Linus, Felix, Ansel, Warren... maybe less adventurous than our girl names but still somewhat off the beaten path. I have a hard time coming up with boy names simply because we have girls and I spend more time thinking about girl names!
    Mommy to Rosamund ~ March 2011 & Elowen ~ June 2013

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above" ~ James 1:17