Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I say er's like ah's and that is how I like Cooper and Archer pronounced. If someone pronounced it as coop-er I would be ok with it but I prefer the Coop-ah pronunciation. Erin and Aaron sound completely different to me as do Mary, Marry and Merry also sound so different. I say Grant as Gr-aa-nt as Gr-arnt sounds wrong to me.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

My name is Erin and I've gone to school with various Aarons. Being in the Midwest US they are almost identical the only difference being a slight different in Air-in (Erin) or Air-ohn (Aaron). Mary and Merry are the same as well. I've had people tell me I say ny name wrong. I don't, its just how its said here.
    Another thing is that I have a hard time saying 'R's if it preceded by a vowel. OH's name is Martin, when I say it it becomes Mah-tin. Lots of people say I sound like I'm from the Boston area when they hear me talk.
    My rule of thumb is say it how the person introduces themselves. My sisters are Katlyn (Kate-lin) and Rachael (Rach-all) so people don't always say them "right" at first glance.
    If its a foreign name try to say it the best you can. There was a Duy in my English class. Lots of people couldn't get his name right so he had no problem answering to Dewey which sounds nothing at all like his name. Jiayun however is a name that we could all easily say.
    To me there is a huge difference beyond saying a name differently because of an accent or not being able to pronounce a foreign name because you cannot produce the sound and just not caring to say the name correctly. However I would not pick a foreign name for my child that I could not pronounce correctly.

I have noticed that some British berries are particularly unforgiving when it comes to us Americans "mispronouncing" things. I have no idea why Americans say AIR-uh-bella instead of ARE-uh-bella or pronounce our vowels so similar (depending on your region, obviously). We just do. Cut the bloody colonists some slack.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

My name is Anna and it irritates me when people pronounce my name ahn-nah like in frozen. My name is pronounced anne-uh. I know that it depends on the person but it still bothers me that people assume that is the way my name is pronounced. Especially because my name has two n's not one. Everyday I have to correct someone.

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    I have noticed that some British berries are particularly unforgiving when it comes to us Americans "mispronouncing" things. I have no idea why Americans say AIR-uh-bella instead of ARE-uh-bella or pronounce our vowels so similar (depending on your region, obviously). We just do. Cut the bloody colonists some slack.
    preach it sister!

Last night I had to explain to my two best friends (both Brits) how I say Dorothy without the second o. I have tried saying it Doro-thee and it sounds like I'm forcing it, much the same as ARE-uh-bella and CAH-roh-line - I literally sound like I'm making fun of an English accent when I say it that way.

Sorry to all the English berries who do correct us a lot - we just can't help how our accents turn out - similar to how a lot of people in England can't help but pronounce Eleanor as 'ellen-nah' or Connor as 'conna' rather than pronounce that 'or' sound at the end.
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; August 6th, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly