Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which full name for Winnie

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winifred

29 64.44%
  • Wilhelmina

13 28.89%
  • I have a better idea (please leave a comment!)

3 6.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Getting to Winnie: Winifred or Wilhelmina

I love Winnie, but it's not formal enough for a given name (in my opinion). I do like both Wilhelmina and Winifred, but they're both so clunky I'm not sure I want to keep them on my list.

What long forms would you recommend, or which of these do you prefer?
    - Elise -

- lists under construction -

I prefer Wilhelmina.
    I know an adorable 5-year old girl named Wilhelmina who has Downs, she's the sweetest thing in the world, all smiles and hugs and fairytales ^^

Other long forms with a less unwieldy feel:
    Winona
    Winola
    Winslet
    Edwina
    Alwen/Olwen
    Anwen
    Arianwen
    Elowen
    Rowena
    Winsome
    Winter
    Last edited by dearest; August 5th, 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added Winsome and Winter
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

For me, Winifred has a magical quality which the more serious Wilhelmina lacks so I cast my vote for this Welsh gem. Wilhelmina always reminds me of the German Kaiser and it's not a pleasant memory. I also think Winnie is a more intuitive nickname choice for Winifred than Wilhelmina as well.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    For me, Winifred has a magical quality which the more serious Wilhelmina lacks so I cast my vote for this Welsh gem. Wilhelmina always reminds me of the German Kaiser and it's not a pleasant memory. I also think Winnie is a more intuitive nickname choice for Winifred than Wilhelmina as well.
    Ditto this, through and through.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I prefer Winifred. I don't find much appealing about Wilhelmina. I like pp's idea of Winter. I'd also suggest Gwendolyn - if you're familiar with The Wonder Years, Winnie Cooper's full name was Gwendolyn.