Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Input on "Karen" and other baby girl ideas

My 1st baby is due in December & we will not find out the gender until baby comes so I'm posting on both the boy & girl forums.

I have an unusual/difficult to spell first name. So I'd like to help baby avoid this lifelong headache with a name that's a bit more recognizable.

I would welcome any ideas you might have. I'm not a huge fan of girl names that end in -a (which is very popular these days). But I'm truly open to anything.

If it's a girl, baby will most likely have the middle name "Sue" after my mother.

In addition to ideas, my husband & I have been considering the name Karen. I'd love any input on this, positive or negative. I think it's feminine yet strong. But I worry that especially as baby gets older it will feel like an "old lady" name (no offense to the many, many wonderful Karens out there!) and not yet a "vintage" name.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Congratulations! I do think Karen is pretty dated (especially paired with Sue, which I understand is a family name). It's very 60s/70s like Cheryl, Deborah, Linda, etc. I do think of it as kind of a "middle aged name" right now.

I really want to suggest Susanna/Susannah as a first name to honor your mom, but I know you don't like -a names. Suzette would be a nice middle too. My favorite girl names that don't end in -a are Alice, Jane, Eve, Maeve, Juliet, Claire, Lucy, and Elisabeth. I know my style is a bit classic/conservative though, so I'm sure other Berries will have a slew of names to suggest!

Thanks for the ideas! I hadn't even considered the way Karen + Sue sounded together...very 60's indeed. Definitely something to think about.

I agree that Karen is dated, but not quite vintage. Here are a few that don't feel as dated to me, either because they have stayed somewhat popular or because they were never that common to begin with.

Holly
    Annie
    Jacklyn
    Caroline
    Judy
    Beverly
    Joan
    Allison
    Beth
    Jane
    Molly
    Ellen
    Kate
    Natalie
    Hannah
    Chloe
    Beatrix - Fleur - Minnow - Zelda - Fern - Winifred - Poet

Wolfgang - Atlas - Huck - Abraham - Ernest - Ulysses - Fox - Alasdair

Personally I really don't like Karen, it feels a bit drab and old to me, a parent name rather than a baby name. However there are some beautiful and more uncommon names that are similar to it; Kerenza/Kerensa (Cornish for love), Kyra, Kiera, Catrina, Catriona & Katherine.
    Lily Alice ~ 16

Juliette Ophelia ~ Rosalie Vasilisa ~ Clara Felicity
    -
    Violet Arianwen ~ Selena Meredith ~ Annika Severine
    -
    Benedict Peter ~ Theodore Michael ~ Dean Nathaniel
    -
    Dimitri Jasper ~ Sirius James ~ Fabian Remus