Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Dorothy?

What are everyone's general thoughts on Dorothy? I'm not sure about the name.

What are some good nicknames for it? Would it work better as a first name or a middle name? Does it automatically make you think of The Wizard of Oz? Is it too "old" sounding? What does the name make you think of and how do you picture a child with this name?
    Nineteen year-old name-lover, dreaming of someday being a mommy <3

Alaric, Atticus, Benjamin, Declan, Dexter, Finn, Garrett, Jack, Jude, Luke, Lysander, Oakley, Oliver, Patrick, Ryder, Ryker, Sawyer, Sebastian, Wylder "Wylie"

Alice, Annabelle, Ardyn, Chloe, Claire, Clara, Eleanor "Ellie", Elizabeth, Ella, Emily, Emma, Evangeline "Evie", Everleigh, Felicity, Genevieve, Josephine "Josie", Mabel, Olivia, Paisley, Reagan, Stella

I love Dorothy! The NN that I have heard are Dottie, Dot and Doro. I love love love Dot and Dottie. I and pregnant with a little girl right now and wish DH was on board with having a little Dot but sadly no . And no I do not think of the Wizard of Oz.

One of my best friends has a little niece (she's 5) named Dorothy and she is a sweet, girly girl so I picture her when I think of the name. My mind doesn't automatically go to Wizard of Oz and I'm not sure if my friend's niece has gotten associated with it but the connection will probably still be there which isn't a bad thing. I don't find the name too old-sounding and I think it's quite sweet to hear whether it's a first or middle name. I love Dot and Dottie as nicknames for Dorothy.
    Last edited by jessicainwonderland; August 3rd, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

I adore Dorothy. She has such a fun, spunky sound, she ages beautifully, everyone knows how to spell and say it, etc. I could go on and on about her. I don't immediately think of Kansas, but the association is there, in a good way. The Wizard of Oz adds a bit more retro charm to a wonderful name. I can picture Dorothy on any child, but particularly on a spunky, freckly little girl with curly red hair and big brown eyes. Dorothy nn Dot would be the very smart, very mischievous friend: a bit of a prankster, very loyal, very willful, with a very strong personality. She wouldn't do anything by halves and is very honest. I love the name.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I feel that Dorothy is still slightly stuffy, but I think she'll be fine in a year or two. I love the nickname options of Dot and Dotty! However, I do prefer Dorothea. It currently does make me think of The Wizard of Oz straight away, but that's because I'm currently reading a book called Dorothy Must Die, which is sort of a sequel/retelling to the aforementioned story. However, before beginning this book, I didn't think of The Wizard of Oz straight away, but even when I did, it's not a bad connection.
    18 // books, tea & names.

l‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾l
    Antigone, August, Beatrice,
    Cordelia, Edmund, Felix,
    Florence, Harriet, Henry,
    Hermione, Ignatius, Jasper,
    Lottie, Lysander, Magnus,
    Oliver, Persephone, Sibyl &
    Sebastian.
    l_________________________l
    Ladies & Gentlemen