Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don't think you've fully thought through the expense & challenges of adopting, especially as a singleton & ESPECIALLY at such a young age. I think you are making a mistake, to be honest. There is usually a waitlist of people hoping to adopt babies, you have to jump through hoops to even be considered & the process is very expensive. Adoptees often have psychological or developmental problems like FASD & things like that and caring for them can be very difficult. You could find that if you desire to find a partner having children to care for could make it difficult to meet anyone or find the time/money/energy to go out even if you DID happen to meet someone you wanted to get to know better - and I really think at some point as much as you may love your theoretical adopted children you would come to resent that you didn't get a chance to come into your own. I obviously think wanting to adopt at some point is admirable - and I hope you do it! But give yourself some time to enjoy your 20's, explore & travel, save some money, gain some stability & self-reliance before you consider taking on something so big.

Also, definitely try fostering before you consider adoption.

Good luck.
    Azula "Zu" Rosemary
    July 2012
    Indira "Indie" Coral
    January 2014

/Katie

I'm in college as well, and have thought about adopting kids too, but way into the distant future. I think it's an admirable choice to make considering there are so many children out there that need stable and loving homes, but I think you'd want to focus on yourself for a few years after finishing university. My plans for the future currently consist of travelling, maybe living abroad and beginning my Master's degree. I'm not saying that my choices are more informed or in any way better than yours, but I do think that they'll equip me for potential parenthood in the future mainly because I'll have a better understanding of how to care for myself (and thus others) and I'll have some well-needed life experience. From my perspective, waiting a few years until you're 25 or so is going to better prepare you for looking after two adopted newborns. Plus, the adoption process can be tough, so consider that even though you may decide to begin searching for babies to adopt at say, 21, you may not meet the highly extensive criteria adoption agencies have (complete financial stability, usually owning your own home/having a mortgage, having a way to support your child/ren both emotionally and financially). If you think you're able to do this, then by all means go for it - just don't throw away your youth! Whatever you choose, though, I wish you all the good luck in the world and hope that you are able to adopt just as you want in the future (whether that be in 3 years or in 10+).
    charlotte
    18 // journalism student
    avid name lover, book devourer & tea drinker

{ caroline - hermione - johanna - livia - romilly - theodora - eliza - ramona }
    { silas - ezra - abel - bram - hugo - rhett - ansel - nathaniel }

There's nothing wrong with planning on adopting children in your future. Even as a teenager, I knew I would adopt at least a few of my children, after I had biological children of my own. Here I am, 12 years later, without a husband and one biological child in heaven. While that part of my "plan" hasn't worked out yet, I am in the process of adopting a beautiful little girl in Eastern Europe.

Adoption is quite a process. You can't just snap your fingers and have a child. You also must meet income requirements (for international adoption at least). You'll also have to wait a while to be matched with a newborn since there are many families who wish to adopt a newborn. Like another poster said, there is no harm in dreaming about it but make sure you read up on the process in your state.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey