Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What are your thoughts on siblings sharing a birthday?

I am in quite an interesting position. It's set in stone that I will have a scheduled c-section with baby number 2 and my doctor wants to deliver me at 39 weeks if what we're aiming for. Funny thing is Willa's birthday is October 17th and I will be 39 weeks on October 16th. Suddenly I started thinking what if I waited a day (if this even comes to fruition and I make it that long) and then Rafaela and Willa can share a birthday. Part of me thinks it would be really special, but than another part of me feels like I don't know if I really want to take that day away from my Willa bug. So now either they will be 11 months and 1 day apart, 1 year apart, or I could go for October 18th making them exactly 1 year and 1 day apart. It's a very cool yet really odd thing to think about right now. So if you had a choice would you let them share a birthday or give them each their own day?
    Mama to Willa and Lakelin!
    MY GROWING LIST

I would definitely let them each have their own day, if I had a choice. I remember when I was a kid birthdays were so much fun because you were special, and the attention was focused on you. All the other days my brother and I were equal (as it should be), but just this one day everything (well, within reason) was about me. I also enjoyed my brother's birthday, and making him feel special. I don't think it would be such a big deal now that we're adults, but I really don't think kid-me would have wanted to share a birthday with my brother.

Just from the logistics this year, if I were you I think I would go for the day after your daughter's birthday, so that you're not in hospital and her birthday this year is still special and she gets to share that with you before she has to deal with the new sibling.

Edit: Oh wait, your daughter's younger than 1. So she doesn't know what birthdays are yet anyway, so disregard the second paragraph. I'm sure she won't mind if you're in hospital for her first birthday!
    Last edited by jackal; July 31st, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
    Emil - Ingimar - Kjartan - Matthías - Óskar - Róbert

Elísabet - Elva - Rósa - Sólveig - Svala - Ylfa

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Edit: Oh wait, your daughter's younger than 1. So she doesn't know what birthdays are yet anyway, so disregard the second paragraph. I'm sure she won't mind if you're in hospital for her first birthday!
    I get what you're saying and I thought about that too. I mean even though she doesn't know what a birthday is it's still her 1st and I don't think I want to miss out on that. It's more a mother thing because she won't have a clue what's going on and won't remember it anyways, but it's still her birthday.
    Mama to Willa and Lakelin!
    MY GROWING LIST

I would honestly try to avoid it at all costs. Like @jackal said, everyone likes to have their own special day. Even if they do end up having consecutive birthdays, I imagine that you'll often end up having a shared birthday party, people will confuse the birthdays and so on (this happens to my cousins, whose birthdays are on the 10th and the 12th and aren't as close in age as your kids).
    I've met people who are twins or have Christmas/New Years birthdays and still their parents made the effort to have an individual celebration.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

I see what people are saying about them each having their own day, but realistically, would it work out like that? Would you, for example, throw a 2nd birthday party and then a 3rd birthday party the very next day? Since their birthdays will be so close anyway, I would let them share an actual birthday and then give each a special day all their own at a different time of the year. Maybe celebrate their names day, or celebrate one's half birthday and the other's 3/4 birthday, or even just pick a date at random to make the special day.

In sum: I think they will get a kick out of sharing a birthday so long as you give them each a different Special Day.

And remember, at this point, they will never know anything different, so its not like you have a seven year old and then her pesky little brother gets born and steals her birthday.