Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Tobias is definitely all-white to me. I can see where your father is coming from, but I can only really picture white boys with the name Tobias (especially those who go by Toby!) and struggle to picture it on an African-American... However, this is all really just my own opinion. Corbin Tobias sounds more white than Corbin Tobiah, if that helps.

Jude Emrys August Milo Emerson Archer Zephyr Maxwell Rowan
    Reuben Luca Sebastian Maddox Elijah Atticus Ezra Phoenix Levi

Fable Zinnia Leah Autumn Shiloh Lily Freya Adelaide Story Willow Zoe
    Juno/Juniper Imogen Calliope Saffron Annalise Reverie Cerys Maeve Arabella

I really need to cut my lists down...

Wow, I don't consider the name Tobias as white, black or anything, but a good name choice, very rarely used today. I say if you love it, go for it. Once your father lays eyes on his grandson, he will absolutely LOVE that kid and his name. I wouldn't worry about it so much. Though I know it's hard not to, when it is your own parents, and grandparents saying how they don't like it.

I agree with your father; certain names make me think of a particular gender, or race, or religion. However, that isn't to say you shouldn't use them, especially if one really speaks to you. And yes, if I heard, or saw the name Tobias, without having a frame of reference, I would assume the person would most likely be African American. But, in this day and age, with all the traditional rules of naming being thrown out the window, I also wouldn't put a lot of stock in my knee-jerk assumption. (Being a teacher and seeing a lot of names before meeting the people they belong to has shown me how wrong I often am.) Good luck!
    It's Official: Mother of Two, now
    Harold Jonathan, nn
    and Kurt Matthew!

No offense to your dad, but good Heavens!

The Tobias I know is a gorgeous young Jewish sword-swallower and magician (really).

One Toby I know is an older rich Jewish man.

The two younger Toby's I know are an upper income white boy and a middle income white boy.

One Toby is a dog and one is a horse.

I've never met a Tobiah.

Toby is seen as a cool name in Northern California where I live.

It is fine for your dad to give his input, but don't listen to it.

I do not associate the name Tobias with blacks. Maybe it was a commonly used name in your dad's generation by the black community. I think of Toby Keith if I think of anybody, figure Toby is a nn for Tobias. I love Tobiah though, adding that to my boy list.