Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    When I was in law school I toyed with the idea of changing my name to Mary or Margaret because I wish I had a formal name for when I wanted it. Ultimately it seemed too difficult and, well, "weird" to go about changing my name, but I have a lot of respect for people who go through with it.

From someone who considered the same path, to me it made a lot of sense to choose a name for which my birth name can be a nickname, so that people could still call me by my "old" name. And traveling/living in Spain and Latin America was part of my problem, too. My name sounds like Mole-y there. Not cute.

I oddly consider Rory more professional than Aurora - because Aurora sounds so princess to me and Rory sounds tailored, like Audrey. But that's subjective and if Aurora makes you feel more professional or more you, you should do it.

Other ones that can get you to Rory if you aren't sure about Aurora:
    Eleanor
    Elinora
    Coralie
    Coraline
    Cordelia
    Cornelia
    Isadora
    Dorothea
    Leonor
    Orla
    Astoria
    Gloria
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick

I adore Aurora. It's feminine, charming, pretty and works well in many cultures. I say go with Aurora.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

Quote Originally Posted by isolieth View Post
    When I was in law school I toyed with the idea of changing my name to Mary or Margaret because I wish I had a formal name for when I wanted it. Ultimately it seemed too difficult and, well, "weird" to go about changing my name, but I have a lot of respect for people who go through with it.

From someone who considered the same path, to me it made a lot of sense to choose a name for which my birth name can be a nickname, so that people could still call me by my "old" name. And traveling/living in Spain and Latin America was part of my problem, too. My name sounds like Mole-y there. Not cute.

I oddly consider Rory more professional than Aurora - because Aurora sounds so princess to me and Rory sounds tailored, like Audrey. But that's subjective and if Aurora makes you feel more professional or more you, you should do it.

Other ones that can get you to Rory if you aren't sure about Aurora:
    Eleanor
    Elinora
    Coralie
    Coraline
    Cordelia
    Cornelia
    Isadora
    Dorothea
    Leonor
    Orla
    Astoria
    Gloria

Molly is your name I'm guessing. Yeah, that one might be hard abroad too! My particular annoyance is that in Portuguese (I lived in Brazil before and will probably live there again), Rory is pronounced WHORY. It's hideous!! And didn't like always being called promiscuous.

By the way, I really like Molly. It's funny how you can dislike your name and the next person really enjoys it.

It seems like a simple enough switch to me. I would also prefer Aurora with the nn option of Rory. It reminds me of the nighttime sky more than a princess.
    Beatrix - Fleur - Minnow - Zelda - Fern - Winifred - Poet

Wolfgang - Atlas - Huck - Abraham - Ernest - Ulysses - Fox - Alasdair

I think you should go for it! Your mom still gets to call you Rory, but you have a longer and more feminine to go by in the professional world. It's a win-win situation all around.
    Not expecting, just love collecting names!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Grace, Madeline Hope, Linnea ?, Stella Rose, Emilia Colette, Clara Noelle, Violet Elora, Lydia Charlotte, Elaine Victoria, Evelyn Ruby

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Wesley Quinn, Evan Robert, Joel Dominic, Quinn Patrick, Dawson Cole, Judah Nathaniel, Rhys Jeremiah, Roman Gabriel, Lachlan Jude