Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: College classes

I'm basing this information off of the school that I went to in the eastern US (it was Christian, but not Catholic). At my school, they recommended taking 15-17 credits per semester, which averages out to about 5-6 classes per semester, or 10-12 classes per year.

Some philosophy class titles:

Freshmen: Intro to Philosophy; Intro to Ethics; Symbolic Logic; Foundations of Social Science; Defending the Faith; Foundations of Economics; Foundations of History; Foundations of Psychology; Foundations of Sociology; Foundations of Cultural Anthropology

Sophomore: General Logic; Foundations of Science; Language, Mind, & Reality; Bio-Medical Ethics; Studies in Philosophy; Classic Political Thought; Modern Political Thought; Philosophy of Social Science

Junior/Senior: Modern Philosophy; Augustine & Aquinas; 20th Century Philosophy; Plato & Aristotle; Political Philosophy and Theology; Metaphysics; Epistemology; Philosophy of Law; Advanced Studies in Philosophy; Current Problems in Philosophy; Philosophy of Religion

Also, any major would also have general education requirements (at a liberal arts school) in things like math, science, art/literature, and language. Generally speaking, you'd have the bulk of those classes your first two years and a couple your third year, so that by your senior year all of your classes would pertain to your major.

Is any of that helpful?
    Last edited by leahmarie512; August 4th, 2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

Thanks, that was really helpful!
    ~Cá bhfuil carthanas agus grá, tá Dia ann.
    An bhfuil grá Chríost bailíodh dúinn Isteach amháin.
    ~
    ~Where charity and love are, God is there. Christ's love has gathered us into one.~
    *Luna*Dominic*Rosalie*Eamon*

You might be able to look up degree requirements for some schools in that area - Try Boston College:

CORE Classes http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/schools...gram/core.html (probably she'd take a lot of these suring the first 2 years

From that link you can click around and explore curriculum requirements.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

Okay, thank you
    ~Cá bhfuil carthanas agus grá, tá Dia ann.
    An bhfuil grá Chríost bailíodh dúinn Isteach amháin.
    ~
    ~Where charity and love are, God is there. Christ's love has gathered us into one.~
    *Luna*Dominic*Rosalie*Eamon*

For an English major:

Early Brit Lit
    Late Brit Lit
    Early American Lit
    Late American Lit
    African American Lit
    Creative Writing
    Folklore
    Irish or Scottish Literature
    Gothic Literature

There are also classes on specific authors and / or books.

Philosophy:

Social Ethics
    Modern Philosophy
    Metaphysics
    Intro to Phil.
    Greek Philosophy

Again, there are classes that concentrate on a specific philosopher or text.

I would say that the average freshman takes five classes in a semester. As someone else stated, a freshman would take general math, writing, astronomy, biology, art history, sociology, geology, etc. I went against my advisor and took a few upper level classes as a freshman, so it is possible.
    Beatrix - Fleur - Minnow - Zelda - Fern - Winifred - Poet

Wolfgang - Atlas - Huck - Abraham - Ernest - Ulysses - Fox - Alasdair