Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A Quick Rant About 'Out of Date' Names

I just need to vent because it really bothers me that "out of date" is such a strong bias on NB. I witness perfectly good names being criticized for being out of date or "dated" when there is nothing else wrong with the name! Several people will reply - too dated, out of date, no, dated, no - the effect is a small avalanche of discouragement against a name without any real thinking at all.

So here's my rant: A name that is out-of-date in 2014 is not sufficient as a reason to dislike, discourage, reject the name. My name was rare at my birth, now forty years later it's very popular. No one knew it was going to happen! My girl cousin was given a boy's name, everyone criticized her parents, but now twenty years later, her name is statistically a girl's name. No one knew it was going to happen. Thirty years ago everyone incorrectly pronounced my sister's name. They confused it with a highly popular name. Now, everyone says my sister's name correctly! The other name grew so unpopular there is no longer any competition. No one knew it was going to happen.

The human being who is named now is going to live for seven or eight decades. A lot changes in just two decades. In my opinion, it is very very short-sighted to reject a name just because it feels out-of-date right now. No one knows what the opinion of that name will be twenty years from now. If names like Lorraine or Jason or Helen are out-of-date now, so what?!?! Each one is a classic name, familiar, literary, pronounce-able, internationally known, good on the top of a resume...what's the problem?! Do people really believe that a child will have a life of terrible ostracization because they were given an "out-of-date" name in 2014? I don't think so.

Whew. Ok. Had to get that out of my system. I'm okay now.
    * My name is Adelaide Skye. I love to play with names.*
    Saffron Ava - Noa Frances - Seraphina Frances nn Sara, Fia, Raffie - Mazarine Charlotte nn Mazzy, Minnie - Rhiannon Holly nn Rhia, Annie, Nonny - Rowan Seraphina nn Rose - Oswell Constantine - Irving Balthasar - Balthazar Lucas - Israfel Ronan - Walter Zephram - Alfred Constantine - Malcolm Ephraim

THANK YOU! I absolutely agree 100%. A "dated" name is not a problem. Just because YOU don't like that it's "old" and "out of style" doesn't mean that a child is going to have legitimate negativity as a result of their name. It is the child's life that matters, not anyone else's opinion. Many "dated" names are perfectly fine and absolutely charming, and would be wonderful choices. They are easy, people know them, and what is so wrong with that? A lot changes over a person's life, and a "dated" name is not an issue. Babies are people, and they grow up. I LOVE a lot of names that were popular in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and am tired of the rhetoric about "dated" names as though that is fate worse than death.
    Addie Elizabeth : Married to David Samuel : Not TTC Yet

Quote Originally Posted by privacyplease View Post
    If names like Lorraine or Jason or Helen are out-of-date now, so what?!?! Each one is a classic name, familiar, literary, pronounce-able, internationally known, good on the top of a resume...what's the problem?! Do people really believe that a child will have a life of terrible ostracization because they were given an "out-of-date" name in 2014? I don't think so.
    Yep. I agree. I've always thought that 'dated' was a silly argument.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

The dated thing is a silly argument (I have been guilty of it once. Just once. Forgive me.). The irony is, by the time your kids are about 10, or even 5, that name is probably going to be considered 'cutting edge.' Even if that isn't the case, bestowing your child with a name you love is much more important than its 'hip' factor. Pretty much every name would be labelled as 'dated' at some point, and that is just as true for the names of today.

No matter how 'current' or 'timeless' it might seem now, remember that in 20 years, that probably isn't going to be the case, regardless of what name you pick. And there are some wonderful 'dated' names: Wendy, Lisa, Mary, Christina, Paul, Dawn, Larry, Gerald, Frank, Vanessa, Farrah, Theresa, Valerie, Anne, etc. If you don't like a name, fine, I respect that. However, I think tacking the argument to it isn't really a legitimate reason to put a name aside.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

I like names when they sound dated. They seem a bit more rebellious against the status quo.