Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    I really think the french thing is a bit trendy right now & I have seen lots of people romanticizing France & french names lately. I think your choice is impractical in North America, but if you really love it nobody can stop you.

And at least those monkeys are cute...
    200px-Capuchin_Costa_Rica.jpg
    Azula "Zu" Rosemary
    July 2012
    Indira "Indie" Coral
    January 2014

Planning ahead for our next additions

I've found this whole thread to be highly entertaining. The subject line is 'Opinions on a Name Change - Capucine' and that is exactly what you got.

People are more direct and honest online, because we hide behind our anonymity. You likely won't get the same feedback in person, because people will think whatever they want, but not verbalize.

Just like the advice to not tell people your baby name choices until the baby is here, perhaps the same applies? Wait until you're stepping out as Capucine. Once you are 'her', it'll be too late for opinions.
    Love love talking names... my 'style' is more classic but I do love some surprising choices too...
    DD1 born April 2013 has a mainstream name honouring 4 lines of her heritage + 2 mns (2nd is my surname)

Quote Originally Posted by schickler View Post
    I've found this whole thread to be highly entertaining. The subject line is 'Opinions on a Name Change - Capucine' and that is exactly what you got.

People are more direct and honest online, because we hide behind our anonymity. You likely won't get the same feedback in person, because people will think whatever they want, but not verbalize.

Just like the advice to not tell people your baby name choices until the baby is here, perhaps the same applies? Wait until you're stepping out as Capucine. Once you are 'her', it'll be too late for opinions.
    I'm glad you found it so entertaining! It was stressful for me. Haha

I think you bring up an important point though in saying that people won't verbalize this kind of negativity to me in person, you're right. No one's going to come up to me and tell me it's silly and immature, and if anyone did, I would just ignore them. I also tried to point out in an earlier post that I'm a loner who likes to keep to myself 99% of the time and that I just moved to a brand new city where I know no one. Both of these things make the transition easier, I think. I allows me to not have to go through the "Yes my name was ___, but I'm Capucine now." I can just introduce myself as Capucine, and that's that.

Thank you for your advice. I found it helpful.

To everyone who got annoyed with me because I called some of you close-minded, I did not mean to offend. I am very blunt by nature, however, and I meant what I said. Rest assured you would have gotten the same feedback from me in person. @tilelli, my response was not addressed to you at all. It was addressed to everyone who told her that she should not change her name to Capucine because of where she lives or because of the popularity of her given name. @gabriela, I don't think it's idealistic to ask that people be allowed to change their names to something they love. As for being realistic, the same could be said for the fight for human rights (on a MUCH larger scale, of course), in that what people are uncomfortable with can be changed over time if we allow ourselves to be a little more accepting. I'm not saying that you're not accepting (I don't even know you), but that was my point, and I felt the need to explain it to you. @augusta_lee I wasn't talking about people disliking the name itself, I was talking about people disliking the idea of a person changing her name based on where she lives, how common her name is, etc.
    There were a few others who said that it was wrong to use "close-minded" in reference to people who commented, but I still stand by what I said. And I agree that not all negative responses are close-minded, but quite a few of them on here were. Once again, if you knew me as a person, you would know that I would be telling you the same thing to your face if you could see me now.
    @siberiana, I'm glad you decided to stick with what you wanted. You are your own person, and I admire that you're doing what makes you happy, not what makes other people happy or comfortable. And I don't blame you at all for wanting to hear reactions from other Berries, without necessarily putting any weight on those reactions. I would be curious, too! Good luck with everything
    Lily Annelise Athena:Victoria Roma Blue:Kalliope Lucy Elodie:Scarlett Kyra Madelyn:Ireland Kalypso Elinor:Ariadne Persephone Ava:Kayden Clemmie Elisabeth:Charlotte Hallie Noreen:Piper Kelly Lux
    Lucas James Owen:Patrick Holden Cade:Sebastian Ezra Jack:Atticus Beauregard Ryan:Alexander Thomas Finn:William Andrew Cato:Oliver Christophe Parker:Matthew Simon Clarence:Everett Jonathan Louis

Teenberry: Obsessed with medical science, published author, bookworm, busy student... and name nerd!