Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lizabethm View Post
    If it were me I'd go with Lana or pick a different name.

As someone with a name that is mispronounced 80% of the time or more... my name is Kirsten. But I would much rather be Kirsten and have it mispronounced than Keerstin and have it be pronounced correctly.

Though also I picked a name for my daughter that is very unlikely to be mispronounced. So I definitely get the annoyance at mispronunciation. Just to me I'd rather go back to the drawing board than use a creative spelling b/c that would just bother me. To the world in general it wouldn't be a big deal to have a Lahna, as you said there are tons of alternative spellings out there nowadays.
    Great insight, and so helpful to hear from someone with a frequently mispronounced name! Thanks!

I'm in Australia, and Lana is pronounced like Lah-na, I've never heard it pronounced Lonna. So to me, adding the H wouldn't be altering the pronunciation at all, it just makes it look unusual. I don't mind the name Lana, though it's personally not my style, but I do prefer it spelt like Lana, not Lahna, and I prefer Alana more than Lana as well.

I think if you want the Lonna pronunciation, then just go with Lonna. Otherwise, stick with the Lah-na pronunciation for Lana; it'd save you and your daughter a lot of time explaining things in the future.
    TTC Baby #1

Austen Theodore|Elliott Hezekiah|Walter Lewis|Oscar Elisha
    Matilda Florence|Adelaide Elizabeth|Harriet Penelope|Charlotte Evangeline

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedchild View Post
    I'm in Australia, and Lana is pronounced like Lah-na, I've never heard it pronounced Lonna. So to me, adding the H wouldn't be altering the pronunciation at all, it just makes it look unusual. I don't mind the name Lana, though it's personally not my style, but I do prefer it spelt like Lana, not Lahna, and I prefer Alana more than Lana as well.

I think if you want the Lonna pronunciation, then just go with Lonna. Otherwise, stick with the Lah-na pronunciation for Lana; it'd save you and your daughter a lot of time explaining things in the future.
    Maybe this is a dialect thing. When I say "Lonna", to me that is the same thing as "Lah-nuh", which is the pronunciation I want. If you're from Australia, does that mean you insert an "r" sound when you say "Lah-na"...would it sound like Larna? I've found that a couple of times on the boards and with the British Lahna I emailed. She said her name is pronounced the same as Lana Del Rey, which is like Larna (with the "r").

To me, Lonna=Lah-nuh=traditional pronunciation of Lana.

I agree with others; go with Lana. Sure, not everyone will pronounce it right, but a lot of names are like that. Lonna could be pronounced "LAWN-uh" and I don't think that's what you want. And I agree with pp's opinion about preferring to be Kirsten than Keersten (on Lana v. Lahna).

And honestly I wouldn't have thought of the backward-spelling thing at all until you mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by elisabeth rae View Post
    I agree with others; go with Lana. Sure, not everyone will pronounce it right, but a lot of names are like that. Lonna could be pronounced "LAWN-uh" and I don't think that's what you want. And I agree with pp's opinion about preferring to be Kirsten than Keersten (on Lana v. Lahna).

And honestly I wouldn't have thought of the backward-spelling thing at all until you mentioned it.
    Thanks, all good feedback. The only reason I care much about the backwards spelling thing is because I feel like kids at a certain age think "oh let's spell our names backwards and see what they spell" and I fear that she will then be doomed with the nickname Anal.

Around here, Lawnuh would typically be the same as Lonna, though in some cases Lawna might have a heavier drawl (rhymes with the word craw). Is that the mispronunciation you are referring to with Lonna?