Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sigrid Weatherby - help!

I'm curious whether or not I can use these names in a parallel world and if not I'd love feedback and heat what's better!

Setting: The Weeping Isles (alternative/parallel world. Would be sort of around Iceland, UK location on a map)
    Genre: Fantasy
    Plot: Sigrid is 24 and when she was 11 her older sister Björka disappeared and no one ever saw her again. She promised herself to seek revenge and for the human trafficking to stop. Before Björka there were rumour about other young pretty girls being kidnapped. Mainly from the age of 14-28. Often girls who had yet to be married seemed to be high on demand.
    Sigrid has been training herself the past 10 years and will now try and get herself kidnapped in order to seek the revenge that she wants. Her family knows nothing of this idea, yet they know she wants to seek revenge.
    Immediate family: Mrs. Weatherby, Mr. Weatherby, Halfdan, Björka
    Characters imporant to the story: Ingrid Elsewood (Sidra's sister), Zereth Elsewood (Ingrid's son), Sidra Bloom (one who was kidnapped), Lothario (kidnapper) & Almaraz (kidnapper).

Is these names too Nordic, weird or is it possible that I can use them?
    Sigrid's parents need names, but I'm still unsure about what I should name then.
    Thanks!
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

I don't know much about Nordic names, but I think these work. In stories like this that I've read, the authors used names from certain cultures and they fit. Good luck
    ~Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est. Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.~
    ~Where charity and love are, God is there. Christ's love has gathered us into one.~

No, the first names are great! They give the setting character and a realistic culture. Though, something I did notice: all of the surnames appear to be English. Unless there is a reason for that - (the Weeping Isles is a colony of English-born people, or maybe the characters are immigrants) - I recommend you change the last names to something Nordic, to keep that true-to-the-region vibe. World building is very important in Fantasy writing, and the more consistent it is, the more it will add to your story. Or, maybe I am totally wrong, and Weatherby, Elsewood and Bloom are totally Nordic last names. They just come off as English to me, and probably will to other reade

And also, just pointing out that Sigrid and Ingrid look fine together on paper, but when said aloud, they almost sound like the same name.

Some cool Nordic/Scandinavian surnames:

Hansen
    Lager
    Johansen
    Solberg
    Larsen
    Abrahamssen
    Fisker
    Frisk
    Kjeldsen
    Stendahl
    Lindquist
    Almstedt
    Eld
    Ingersson
    Norling
    Landvik
    Niequist
    Pilkvist
    Dalgaard
    Klasson
    Sinason
    Blom
    Blomgren
    Teenberry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and Hopeful Author

{Annalisa} {Rosalina} {Geneva} {Genoveffa} {Dorothea} {Valentina} {Alicia} {Carina} {Angelina} {Dora}
    [Felicity] [Linden] [Jane] [Anneka] [Ruth] [May] [Eliza] [Rose] [Athena] [Meredith] [Lynn] [Brynn]

{Gianni} {Frediano} {Adriano} {Dino} {Luca} {Abramo} {Doriano} {Leonello} {Andino} {Maximo}
    [Jack] [Jonah] [Auden] [Ross] [Jude] [Deacon] [Felix] [Reid] [Finn] [Cody] [Bowen] [Scott] [Ronan]

Quote Originally Posted by candler View Post
    No, the first names are great! They give the setting character and a realistic culture. Though, something I did notice: all of the surnames appear to be English. Unless there is a reason for that - (the Weeping Isles is a colony of English-born people, or maybe the characters are immigrants) - I recommend you change the last names to something Nordic, to keep that true-to-the-region vibe. World building is very important in Fantasy writing, and the more consistent it is, the more it will add to your story. Or, maybe I am totally wrong, and Weatherby, Elsewood and Bloom are totally Nordic last names. They just come off as English to me, and probably will to other reade

And also, just pointing out that Sigrid and Ingrid look fine together on paper, but when said aloud, they almost sound like the same name.

Some cool Nordic/Scandinavian surnames:

Hansen
    Lager
    Johansen
    Solberg
    Larsen
    Abrahamssen
    Fisker
    Frisk
    Kjeldsen
    Stendahl
    Lindquist
    Almstedt
    Eld
    Ingersson
    Norling
    Landvik
    Niequist
    Pilkvist
    Dalgaard
    Klasson
    Sinason
    Blom
    Blomgren
    Hey, yeah. Last names are Ebglish, mainly because I do not like most Nordic names because of they way they will be pronounced in English so I'm hesitant about using them.
    Larsen, Hansen might seem cool to you, but for me it's common and find it rather boring.
    I like the idea of Sigrid Fisker, but it just sounds so weird for me to say in English.
    Dalgaard is a bad person I know. :/
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

I think its fine. However, I would add something to Sigrid and Ingrid. Like:
    Sigridia
    Ingridis
    Basingrid
    Vasigrid
    Sigridisia
    Ingridia
    See? Like that.
    As for her parents names:
    Mom: Bente, Tineke(diminutive of Tina), or Solveig.
    Dad: Hulderic(meaning graceful rule in Ancient Germanic), Solomon, or Gundahar(meaning war army in Germanic).

I think you have a good idea going. Hope I helped and good luck!