Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me name a German footballer!

I've been taking this slowly sort of slowly, because I'm afraid my OCD's going to go and mess up the first (potentially) good plotline since I lost my muse (which is a huge story you probably don't want to hear, haha!). But I'm slowly moving forward, and I'm trying to name my main character.

He's a half-German, half-American footballer who plays for a team in Hamburg, he's about 25/26, and he sort of combines a lot of his parents' German and American sort of personality traits. He's a bit reserved and shy, like his father, and has his father's German good looks (tall and handsome), and his father's German generosity, but his mother's easy affection and quick grin (and infectious laughter). He's quiet when you first meet him, but when he knows you, and you know him, he's much more open and affectionate. He's very leery about opening his heart, so when he falls for someone, he's pretty much capable of completely hiding it, even though he might be dying on the inside. He's, above all, kind. He's selfless and goes out of his way to help others. He loves kids. He's thoughtful. He's humble. He doesn't use his position of fame to glorify himself, just takes in everyone's love and shares it back to them, always trying to be a good influence because he knows how much people invest in him, and he doesn't want to let them down. He doesn't really want a flashy life, just really loves football, and knows it comes with it. He's a Christian, and, above all, that influences everything he does and everything he is.

Any ideas for a German name for him? All I've got sorted is his middle name--Andreas. I'd like an uber-German surname (Schweinsteiger or Lottenschlager, but I'm not sure I want either one of those), and I'd ideally like a name that was used with some frequency in Germany in the late 80s for his FN (but I won't be too fussed if it wasn't in style then). At this point, Benedikt "Ben", Tobias "Bo/Toby", Bjorn "Bear", and Samuel "Sam" are my top contenders, but I have a bunch of other "maybes" I can't seem to eliminate (including Linus, Matthias, Kaspar, Pascal, Maximilian, Alban, Rainer, Josef, Dominik, Hugo, Kilian, Leo, Linus...). Can you see any of those on a kindhearted and reserved (but affectionate) German footballer?

Alban is intriguing, Also, perhaps Christian (I have some German-American ancestors w/this name).

Hmm... Ok. Germany has no name stats according to Google, so I went through some team sheets to get an idea.

Lennart
    Marcel
    Sami
    Bastian
    Julian
    Mats

Other names I liked:

Anton
    Benno
    Conrad
    Ingo
    Ivo

And a handful of surnames:

Kappel
    Auttenburg
    Friedrich
    Heppenheimer
    Jollenbeck
    Konigsmann
    Morgenstern
    Rademacher
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Renrose - if you search Deutsche vorname für Junge/Mädchen you will find plenty. ^^

Current names that are liked by german people:
    Fynn
    Peer
    Sven
    Levin
    Isger
    Heinz (all time classic I believe)
    Kai
    Hellfried
    Reimund
    Lukas

In the 80's.:
    Nils
    Marko/ Marco
    Steffen
    Stefan
    Florian (classic)
    Bastian
    Mattis
    Marcel
    Sascha
    Fabian

"Popular" last names:
    Schröder (correct spelling of my middle)
    Hofmann
    Möller
    Meiß [Meizs]
    Krüger / Krueger
    Koch
    Zimmerman
    Ammerschuber
    Döll
    Last edited by lyraslife; July 16th, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~

Hey Ash -
    For the most popular names in Germany in the late 80’s I’d check out this site. [URL="http://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/3776-1980er-jahre.htm"]Beliebte Vornamen. There are no official records but this guy is pretty awesome! (I think it’s a result of the whole yellow stars and pink triangles thing. But don’t quote me on that as I’m just speculating. Annoying for Namenerds but totally understandable.)
    Something like Christopher, Torsten, Niklas, Constantin, Joachim, Johannes, Hans, Tobias or Gustav might work well as it would allow for easy “American” nn’s for his American mom. But honestly, most of the Germany kids I grew up had very standard biblical names - there were a lot of Peter’s, Michaels and Stefans. (FYI: Bjorn isn’t a proper solid “German” name - when you look online be careful about the distinction between German and Germanic - most sites don’t make that distinction).

For last names I’d try something simple and very german like Müller over something like Schwansteiger. (Yes I know I just listed two big Football stars but....) Müller is probably THE most common name in Germany (meaning miller). Other names like this will allow your character to be his own instead of being so strictly tied to the image of someone like Bastian Schwansteiger. Suggestions: Becker, Schulze, Schneider, Brauer, Kempf, Riedel, Meyer, Beck, Tischler or if you are looking for something longer then just choose a random noun and add an adjective to it..... Ochsenjäger, Bergsteiger, Riedelbeck etc It could be a cool place to say something about his fathers family heritage or who his father and he are. OR you could mush together parts of German figures you really like.... Bastian Schwansteiger + Ludwig v. Beethoven could = Schwanhofen and it would sound completely plausible. (Though I’d recommend against adding Ludwig to anything Schwan as it will sound like King Ludwig II).

(I rarely check the writers Corner so if you want help with that I’d be happy to help just PM me).
    Last edited by lexiem; July 16th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    Endora & Lorelei
    trying to narrow down.....Dexter, Victor, Gideon, Hendrik, Oberon, Cedric
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)]