Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are some ways to honor a Sylvia without directly using the name?

My grandmother Sylvia passed away 6 years ago, but I was very close to her growing up. My husband and I are usually not fans of using family names, but if I were going to honor anyone at all, it would be my grandma. I like the name Sylvia, but love many other names and would like my child to have their own first name. However, I just don't think Sylvia sounds very good in the middle with any of the names that I like, and flow is a big deal to me. I will most likely call my children by both names frequently, so I want something that rolls off the tongue.

Right now, our top girl's names are:

Genevieve
    Camille
    Aurelia (pr. Au-Ray-lee-ah)-My husband loves this one, but I feel that it will get mispronounced.
    Clara
    Ivy (Although it is becoming a bit trendy for my liking)

Camille Sylvia isn't that bad, but I don't like the way the repeated L sounds clash, and I have other names that I prefer with Camille. My husband can't stand the variant Sylvie (too bad -_-), so that's out as an option.

Note: I am not pregnant yet, but would like to have children in the next year or so. We're just planning ahead.

Thanks! : )

Edit: Also, our last name is a common one-syllable patronymic name beginning with H.
    Last edited by ivory88; July 14th, 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Sylvanie is an option. It's a name mentioned in Hugo's Les Miserables (the book).

For a boy, how about Silver? If you like that sort of thing (I do).
    Ava, Marie, Georgiana, Theodora, Juno, Liesl, Marjorie, Pearl, Cassiopeia, Anastasia
    Corey, Azariah, Jesse, Glenn, Fergus, Japheth, Ezekiel, Egbert, Winston, Alessandro

You can use the variants Sylvianne, Sylviette, Silveria, Sylvanna, Silva, Sylvinnia, Silvaine, Silvania, Silveria, Sylvinia, or Sylvonna.
    {Agnes ⭐︎ Beatrix ⭐︎ Bernice ⭐︎ Elspeth ⭐︎ Flavia ⭐︎ Jeanne ⭐︎ Marjorie ⭐︎ Sibyl ⭐︎ Susannah ⭐︎ Topaz}
    Betsy ♥︎ Billie ♥︎ Hattie ♥︎ Nest ♥︎ Peg ♥︎ Posy
    / Jack ♥︎ Kit ♥︎ Ned ♥︎ Tam ♥︎ Ted
    {Amos ⭐︎ Arnold ⭐︎ Benjamin ⭐︎ Edgar ⭐︎ Linus ⭐︎ Mordecai ⭐︎ Noel ⭐︎ Oswald ⭐︎ St John ⭐︎ Thomas}

“Catch the foxes for us, The little foxes that are ruining in the vineyards, While our vineyards are in blossom.” ~ Song of Solomon 2:15

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I just don't love any of the variants of Sylvia that much. The only thing I do like is Silas (has the same meaning as Sylvia) for a boy, but it clashes with our surname.

Do you think another S name would be stretching it too far. I like the name Simone, and I think it pairs well with a few of my name choices...but does it seem too unrelated to Sylvia to be an honor?