Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Even though I'm not fully Irish and live in America I think it's fine to use the claddagh ring. My best friend and I have them for a symbol of our friendship and our sister like bond. When I wear it no one asks if I'm Irish either. It would be nice to hear from someone who was from Ireland on this topic.

I'm just going to add that I was just talking to my granny who is Irish and she said that she would be perfectly happy for somebody to use it, it's the ring she has and she loves it and the history and symbolism. She said she feels that the Irish culture isn't as explored or appreciated and that the ring is a lovely way to show it off. Furthermore, she said that no matter how little Irish blood you have in you, diluted through so many generations, that it doesn't matter that you are always a wee bit Irish and she wished more people would use the ring because it's got a lovely meaning to it whilst also being beautiful!

My gran got me one when I went off to university and made me do the whole tradition of on the right hand and the point of the heart pointing to the fingers to say I'm single, then on the right hand with the point pointing to my arm to say I'm taken, then on the left hand with the point pointing to my fingers to say I'm engaged and then on my left hand with the ring pointing in to say I'm married. I think that is a lovely tradition and it was something my granny does with all of her daughters and all of granddaughters.
    Last edited by mollydolally; July 13th, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
    Beautiful baby girl who changed our world: Nettie Claudia Appleby ~ 25th of July 2014

Bryony|Lydia|Vera|Petra|Imogen|Sadie|Monica|Georgi ana|Anneliese|Zara|Clara|Adeline|Lois|Sophia|Elena |Aurora|Lucille|Erica|Mercy|Blythe|Felicity

Jude|Oscar|Xavier|Patrick|Bart|Felix|Nathaniel|Fre derick|Isaac|Evan|Theodore|Adam|Jasper|Callum|Ezra |Ezekiel|Henry|Samson|Niall|Percy|Barney|Seamus|Ha velock

Mollydolally- do you wear your claddagh as a wedding ring then?

Amelia- I have claddagh but my mom got it for me, so I'd never wear it as a wedding ring. If my SO proposed with it, or had given it to me while were were dating, then that would be a different story. If you want to be proposed to with one, let your SO know (when things get to that point). I don't think you *have* to be Irish to use it.

I've never been asked if I'm Irish while wearing my claddagh (I'm not Irish) but I've also only worn it on the right hand. Maybe using a claddagh as a wedding ring would get that question? It's probably taken mire notice of if it's on the left hand on your ring finger. Even still, you reply with "No, we chose it because of the symbolism"... Nobody will argue with that
    Lucia
    Sela, Iris, Bronwen, Eleanora, Seraphine, Eulalia and Bastian "Baz", Fletcher, Gideon, Edmund, Joscelin, Marius

@lucialecentum: no, I wear it on my middle finger; I have a separate engagement and wedding ring which are from my husband.
    Beautiful baby girl who changed our world: Nettie Claudia Appleby ~ 25th of July 2014

Bryony|Lydia|Vera|Petra|Imogen|Sadie|Monica|Georgi ana|Anneliese|Zara|Clara|Adeline|Lois|Sophia|Elena |Aurora|Lucille|Erica|Mercy|Blythe|Felicity

Jude|Oscar|Xavier|Patrick|Bart|Felix|Nathaniel|Fre derick|Isaac|Evan|Theodore|Adam|Jasper|Callum|Ezra |Ezekiel|Henry|Samson|Niall|Percy|Barney|Seamus|Ha velock

I think the only issue would be people "assuming" you are Irish or that your husband is Irish, but other than that I don't see the problem, but I'm only a little bit Irish, haha, mostly German and Chinese.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables