Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "oo" sound

The "oo" sound

Not ttc until next year, but just thought of a potential problem for our top picks so far.
    For a girl we are thinking Louisa (Loo-ees-a) and for a boy, Hugo (Hyoo-go). I didn't realize it until now, but they have that similar "oo" sound. If we use one, do you think it knocks the other out of the running for a third? Opinions appreciated!!
    Mommy to Konrad Wolfgang 12/31/13
    Already got that naming fever again...
    Wilhelmina Jane - Louisa Marie - Frieda Rosalie - Mabel Augusta - Greta - Marta
    Hugo Frederick - Kai Anthony - Alaric John - Kilian Joseph- Cormac - Arlo - Rex
    GP : Edelweiss nn Ada

From a linguistic standpoint, they don't actually sound too similar because the stress isn't on the OO sound for both, at least the way I say them. Louisa is loo-EES-a and Hugo is HYOO-go. So I think they are totally usable for siblings. I love both names, by the way.
    Not expecting, I just love names <3
    Vote on my namelist?

I think Louisa and Hugo sound fine together. But then I say Louisa more like Luh-wheeze-a, so the oo sound isn't really there, even then the first syllable isn't stressed. Konrad (my uncle's name too ), Louisa and Hugo (love!) would make a great sibset.
    Wholock | Historian | Biochemist | Single Pringle | Teenberry (16)
    Hoping to be a mummy in the future. Dreaming of...
    Caspian Sherlock Walter, Phoenix Arthur Blaise, Ptolemy Alexander Remus, Horatio Albert Louis ✦
    Mister Men

Pandora, Georgiana, Lyra, Fae, Clara, Hermione, Alexandria, Evanthe, Persephone, Beatrix
    Little Misses

Please click here to help me decide on some combos. Thanks! Refresh if you get an error message.

They sound great! I think the flow is quite nice actually.
    My Favorites
    ~Boys~
    August Chase | Owen Michael | Dominic Anderson | Emmett Chase | Arlo James

~Girls~
    Amara Juliette | Stella Mae | Marina Arianne | Evanna Louise | Lucia Charlotte

His Favorites
    Mason Anderson Chase | Marina Arianne Louise

It wouldn't stop me from using both of them, I don't think they are noticeably similar. Practice saying them out loud and see how it feels for you.
    Short List
    Emmeline • Ada • Henrietta • Helena • Agatha • Genevieve • Adela • Clara
    Irene • Jane • Caroline • Margery• Marian • Mabel • Eloise • Rosalind • Estella

Sebastian • Felix • Wesley • Isaac • Alexander • Julian • Nathaniel • August
    Edward • Oliver • Quentin • Jasper • Abraham • Arthur • Everett • Victor