Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Am I being silly?

I'm 4 weeks away from having our first little boy and we are still struggling to find a name for this little man. I absolutely love Nathaniel and my husband loves Christian and we had all but agreed to go wih Christian Nathaniel but I really, really don't like Chris and I'm worried that his name will be shortened to something I can't stand.

I have 3 girls who are Cicely, Adelaide and Emmeline and feel that our son needs a name that will go with their names and sound like we've spent as much time deciding what to call him as his sisters and the thought of Cicely, Adelaide, Emmeline and Chris just doesn't work for me.

Am I being ridiculous? I've tried to get Hubby to agree to Nathaniel but he doesn't like Nate so were kind of at a stalemate....

Any thoughts????

I think that the name Christian goes well with your little girls, but I see the issue with the common nm of Chris. You could look at alternate nicknames for Christian (Ian, Kit, Tian); or make a point to call him Christian and not shortening it. I do like Nathaniel, could you look at nicknames other than Nate? Than, Thaniel, Nat, Neil??

Good luck!
    After 6 wonderful years of marriage... TTC Baby Barry #1
    A collector of names my whole life; I received Beyond Jennifer and Jason when I was 13

The person makes the name -- My name is Rebecca Avice but go by Rocky

I think if you make a point of introducing him to others as Christian and politely correct people who shorten it then there shouldn't be a problem.

Lovely name and sib-set, by the way, and good luck with your little boy.
    Not expecting but hopefully one day that will change.

Favourite Combos
    Ivy Adelaide/Lyra Evangeline/Eliza Genevieve
    Hugo Benjamin/James Anthony/Rory Alexander

Other Favourites
    Octavia, Astrid, Estella, Hestia, Wallis, Sheridan
    Rafferty, Malachy, Jasper, Harrison, Sidney, Killian

Hi! All of your kids have darling names. I really adore Christian and Nathaniel together, too. They flow quite nicely, in either direction... Christian Nathaniel, Nathaniel Christian. I do think Nathaniel is more likely to get shortened than Christian... Christian is often a stand-alone name without a nickname.
    Have you considered Christopher nn Topher?
    Or using Ian as the nickname for Christian? I think Ian is a bit more "old world" (to fit with your girls' names) than the very American Chris.
    Does that help?
    Last edited by mulme944; July 7th, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Mommy to Travis Nevin 05/12
    and Angus Loudon is due April 6th, 2015

I don't think you are being silly. Nicknames happen and you can't always control them. So I am of the opinion to never name a child something with a nickname you hate....because that will probably be the one that sticks. But that is easier said than done.