24 66.67%
  • Flossie as a standalone name

2 5.56%
  • Florrie as a standalone name

2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flossie or Florrie?

I love the name Florence, and it's definitely towards the top of my list, but, I'm not sure what I would shorten it to. I love both Flossie and Florrie, but they're two names I'd never attempt as a standalone choice (even though Flossie was a standalone name in my family, and at one point, both were UK top 100 names), so I'm hoping to use one (or both) as a NN for Florence.

However, they're pretty similar, so it might be confusing to use both, so;

Do you prefer Flossie or Florrie as a nickname for Florence? Does either name stand alone at all?

Thank you!

I think Florrie could stand alone, but I don't think Flossie would. Too much potential for dental hygiene comments. I like Florrie better personally, but both work as nicknames for Florence.
    ~ Larissa

Olympia Primrose
    Waverly Claire ~ Amaryllis Joy
    Holiday Elise ~ Bellamy June ~ Seraphina Daisy
    Genevieve Scout ~ Romilly Violet ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Mazarine Alice ... Penrose Elizabeth

Flossie and Florrie are adorable, but they are too cute to stand alone. Also, they didn't have dental floss when Flossie was a popular nickname for Florence. It wouldn't work these days. I like Florence with the nickname Florrie.

Fiorenze, nn Fiora? Sorry, not a fan of Florence (makes me think of the Brady Bunch), and esp. not those nicknames--they just sound so old and gray. But I appreciate that they seem to be coming back into vogue.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    Fiorenze, nn Fiora? Sorry, not a fan of Florence (makes me think of the Brady Bunch), and esp. not those nicknames--they just sound so old and gray. But I appreciate that they seem to be coming back into vogue.
    Actually, Florence is unchangeable, as are the nicknames. It's a family name for me, and so is Flossie. Florrie is a nickname that was used for one of the many women named Florence in my family as well, so I'd rather keep them. Fiorenze doesn't really fit in with my style either, thanks.