Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phineas

Phineas

I'm looking for general thoughts on Phineas. Likes, dislikes, associations, imagery, whatever.

I had never looked the name up, and was recently surprised to find out just how unusual the name is and always has been in the US. No sugar coating required with your response, though if you say you hate it or it's ugly, I'd like to know why you feel that way. My love of the name won't change, I'm more interested in learning what my son would experience with the name Phineas. The only 'bad' association I can think of would be the cartoon, which I just know by name, so I'm not even sure if it's 'bad' or just an association, and that still leaves me wondering why it's never been popular, as the cartoon is only a few years old.

I'd like to use Phineas Blaise Robin. Thoughts on the combo and any issues you see with it are appreciated, but not necessary. I've already noticed the initials are PBR, which doesn't bother me much.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

My first thought is Phineas and Ferb. Not a fan.

I think Phineas is handsome. My favorite "Finn" names are Finley and Finn but Phineas and Finian are tied for third. I do not know much about the cartoon, I have only heard the name (the cartoon's) a handful of times. Phineas is a strong name that I can easily picture on a boy and a man. The name Phineas I can see on many different personalities.
    Maebry Eloise o Emilia Sunday o Annabel Birdie
    Piers Lachlan o Roan August o Gray Everett
    -------- o -------- ~ o ~ -------- o --------

heart my son

I like the upbeat, bookish feel of Phineas. I considered it for my own list at one point, but I couldn't decide if I thought it was versatile enough. Phineas seems like it would fit the intellectual or artistic type guy but not so much any other type. I think Phineas Robin Blaise sounds better.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Phineas is my favorite boy name and has been since I discovered it by way of A Separate Peace in middle school. The character is confident and charming, though tragic. My husband is on board with using this name, but we had to get around the fact that the name only reminded him of Phineas Gage and his railroad-spike TBI... which also feels tragic (or miraculous?). And then you have P.T. Barnum and his circus not helping matters. I think that the name is just so rarely used that the associations are strong, but many people might not even make these connections.

I am not familiar with the cartoon at all.

Phineas might be unusual but natural nickname Finn is definitely popular enough that people will be comfortable using it.

I don't know if I've made a great case, but these are the things that I've considered... and I still love the name.