Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hazel: too "fault in our stars"?!

We love the name Hazel. But now in concerned that it's going to be associated with a little girl with cancer? What do you think?

Not unless you name her Hazel Grace. I think you're fine naming her Hazel. Hazel has been used for many other characters, and many people associate Hazel with different things. I find Hazel charming, if anything, and if by chance someone does associate your Hazel with Hazel Grace Lancashire.... well, at least Hazel didn't die in the book.
    Bathsheba ⭐︎ Bernice ⭐︎ Edwige ⭐︎ Edwina ⭐︎ Leopoldine ⭐︎ Perdita ⭐︎ Sibylla
    Amos ⭐︎ Christian ⭐︎ Eleazar ⭐︎ Ichabod ⭐︎ Jean-Baptiste ⭐︎ Philip ⭐︎ Vivian ⭐︎ Zebedee

Mordecai St John Edgar Paul "Mo" / Abraham Jerusalem Noël Silas "Bram"
    Susannah Beatrice Tamsin Ruth "Sukey" / Margaret Damaris Edna Jeanne "Peggy"

“Catch the foxes for us, The little foxes that are ruining in the vineyards, While our vineyards are in blossom.” ~ Song of Solomon 2:15

No. The Fault in Our Stars is extremely popular now, but it may not be in years. And either way, Hazel was an established name before the book/movie. Unless you name her Hazel Grace, then she probably won't be associated with it. And if she is, it's not really a bad thing. Hazel Grace Lancaster isn't a negative character.
    Cara.

you can never be overdressed or overeducated.

Juno • Ramona • Cecily • Elowen • Archer • Dashiell • Ike• Arlo

I haven't seen the movie and probably never will....so for me, the name Hazel remains timeless, magical and has a lovely nature connotation too. It looks great and sounds great - so, whether a FN or MN, Hazel livens-up and beautifies any name combination.

However, if the movie association is too strong for you, it might be best to leave it for a while & see if you still really love it ...IMHO, you should choose a name that makes you happy and feel positive about. It should also be a positive namesake -- well, in theory that's what I think...

Cheers
    Ulysses/ Godiva/ Valhalla/ Valkyrja/ Kyrja/ Kara

Seabrook | Lyon | Falcon | Lucius Artorius | Bardyllis | Chivalry | Whiskey | Varro | Auberon | Sovereign

Winter Rose | Emerald | Autumn Grace | Hazel | Maebry | Ulyssia | Pandora Rose | Alaska | Summer Eve | Charlett | Ivy | Asfodelle | Marquesa | Titania | India Ruby | Ulissa | Isabeau | Liberty | Vivaldi | Ferelith | Juniper | Violet | Odette Leda Snow | Utopia | Hero | Hermione

Well, this was inevitable.

No, it really isn't. The Fault in Our Stars wasn't that big of a hit, at least not that I'm aware. It will be a passing association at best.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine