Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How Would You React To A Little Girl Named....

I'm having a bit of a confidence issue with my name list, which generally results in one of my many, many massive 'name redos' in which case, everything that isn't popular is completely removed, and I start over.

I realise my list is really out of most people's style range, but would you react badly to any of these? Would they widely be accepted as 'ok'?

Lottie
    Betsy
    Edie
    Polly
    Olive
    Mabel
    Miriam
    Genevieve
    Ophelia
    Hattie
    Minnie
    Hermione
    Billie
    Marnie
    Effie
    Cecily
    Marie
    Dulcie
    Nellie
    Lavinia
    Sylvia
    Ottilie
    Agatha
    Bessie
    Dora
    Vera
    Essie
    Ethel
    Doris
    Nettie
    Lucille
    Vivian
    Delia
    Birdie
    Marigold

Thank you, and sorry about the long list!
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"

I like most of the names on your list! The ones that I don't like as much are Hermione, Agatha, and Ethel. I think that for the most part, though, I would love to meet a little girl with any of these names!
    Girls
    ~ Luna ~ Sylvie ~ Marigold ~ Finula ~ Olive ~ Isla ~
    Boys
    - Wes - Jude - Orson - Zion - Harris - Abram -

Lottie / Betsy / Nellie / Polly / Minnie / Hattie / Bessie / Essie / Nettie --> Very nickname-y. It's not important for everyone, but they personally fail the honourable judge/doctor test. In all honesty, I don't like nicknames as full names. I would probably be surprised it's their full name.

Olive --> I really adore the name Olive! In all honesty, I'd be jealous :P

Genevieve / Ophelia / Ottilie / Agatha / Lucille --> Love these names! All strong and classical and age well! I'd love to meet little girls with these names - a strong commendation to their namer.

Marnie / Effie / Cecily / Edie / Dulcie --> This are the nickname-y names I think you can get away with! Very nice.

Sylvia / Vivian / Marigold / Marie / Mabel / Vera / Ethel --> Names I'm not too fond of, but definitely respectable!

Dora / Hermione / Billie --> These three names have rather high connotations for me. Dora the Explorer (shudders), Hermione Granger and Billie Piper (not a bad thing for these last two for me, though). I wouldn't feel sorry for them or anything, but this would be the first thing I'd think of!

Doris / Delia / Birdie / Lavinia / Miriam --> Sorry, this is going to be harsh, but I'd feel kinda sympathetic for them. I know a Miriam who hates her name (poor girl ) and the rest I can't take seriously, sorry! But that may just be because they are not my style.

Hazel
    eumoirous

Walter & Rosalie

Anna | Astrid | Edith | Evangeline | Greta | Gwendolen | Jane | Ophelia | Poppy | Victoria
    Augustus | Cassian | Christian | Donovan | Edmund | Elliot | Julian | Theodore | Vincent

I wouldn't react negatively to any of the names on your list. There are a few(Doris, Ethel) that I don't particularly like, but they're still "ok" names.
    Under Construction

It's a longlist so these will be short 'reactions'...

Lottie - eh, yawn
    Betsy - cute, I met one a while ago (in Canada actually but she had expat-Brit parents). She didn't make me like it a lot though, the novelty actually wore off for me.
    Edie - love! I really like this one, I have a friend with this name and she pulls it off well
    Polly - nice
    Olive - honestly I think it's ugly. I've never said that on NB before (don't hurt me!!)
    Mabel - pretty
    Miriam - must have v. religious parents
    Genevieve - nice, a bit pretentious (I know 2 girls who are)
    Ophelia - brilliant name
    Hattie - cute, I know a few so wouldn't be a huge surprise
    Minnie - cute
    Hermione - love this, I know the *craziest* little girl with this name
    Billie -
    Marnie - I'd really love to see this more
    Effie - sounds like 'effing' or 'eff you' to me, maybe it could grow on me if I knew one
    Cecily - nice, not very 'little girl' to me so would be interesting to meet one
    Marie - eh, ''why''? Probably perceived as chavy where I'm from (dated names on kids often are)
    Dulcie - lovely, I'd love to meet one
    Nellie - nice, nothing special though
    Lavinia - lovely
    Sylvia - lovely, I think of Plath
    Ottilie - nice, quite trendy-unusual still
    Agatha - love love this
    Bessie - eh
    Dora - lovely, very sweet
    Vera - not a fan, quite boring but could grow on me if I knew a little one
    Essie - nah
    Ethel - lovely, would definitely like to meet one
    Doris - as above (thought you hated this though?)
    Nettie - wouldn't work round here, old Newcastle slang for a toilet
    Lucille - lovely
    Vivian - nice, I'd like to finally meet one
    Delia - definitely love to meet one
    Birdie - eh, I do like it but it's nothing special
    Marigold - it would be nice to hear this replace all the Poppys/Lilys etc.
    close to my heart
    Rufus - Alec - Emmett - Wes
    Billie - Estella - Jemima - Eilidh

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)