Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Oliver?

Oliver?

PROS (for me)
    It's classic
    It's literary (both classic and modern books)
    I've liked it for a long time
    It sounds cool....? I guess I don't know how to describe it.

CONS
    Popular
    -er ending makes it trendy
    Just realized there could be some "olive" teasing....or "liver", for that matter.

So WDYT? Do the pros out way the cons, or vice versa, and do you like it in general?
    ~~~In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth~~~

Oliver is my favourite boys name, so for me the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Like you said, it's classic, has literary connections, is a well-established name, works on a guy of any age, Ollie is an adorable nickname and it sounds gorgeous

For the cons yeah it's quite popular it's #52 in the US and it's #2 in the UK and that's the only really big problem with it. With the trendy -er ending I don't think Oliver will ever be defined as trendy because it's a timeless name and hasn't recently been invented or skyrocketed in popularity. I don't think olive teasing would be a big deal and I never made the connection with liver.

Anyway, that's just my very biased opinion. Oliver is an awesome name!
    Melody ~ Esther ~ Leona ~ Helena ~ Rowena ~ Elspeth ~ Aurora ~ Hermione ~ Elowen ~ Rose ~ Clara ~ Eleanor ~ Hazel ~ Amelie ~ Audrey ~ Romilly ~ Adele ~ Polly ~ Josephine ~ Leonora

Oliver ~ Henry ~ Arthur ~ Felix ~ Theodore ~ Marcel ~ Rowan ~ Asher ~ Caspian ~ Gideon ~ Archer ~ Charlie ~ Benedict ~ Julian ~ Tristan ~ Edward ~ Maxwell ~ August ~ Christopher

Guilty Pleasures
    Artemis ~ Ophelia ~ Isolde ~ Calypso
    Magnus ~ River ~ Atticus ~ Dashiell

Thanks.
    ~~~In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth~~~

It's ok...mostly it just makes me think of a hungry orphan child, but there's nothing objectionable about Oliver. I wouldn't use it, because it was the surname of the most obnoxious kid on my block when I was young.

I love love love Oliver. I hate watching it become so popular. Part of the appeal was that I had never met anyone with this very recognizable, smart name. Now mothers pair it with brothers named things like Mason and Connor...not even in the same league.
    Beatrix - Fleur - Minnow - Zelda - Fern - Winifred - Poet

Wolfgang - Atlas - Huck - Abraham - Ernest - Ulysses - Fox - Alasdair