Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Favourite names from books/films/shows

Most of the names on my list have been inspired by my favourite books/authors/poets/films/shows/plays.
    I love Oscar because of Oscar Wilde, one of my favourite authors. I also love Dorian, Gray, Wilder, Cecily, Earnest and Arthur because of him. I'm more attracted to the image of these names than I am to the way they sound or what they mean.
    There are some bizarre ones like Hercules, my favourite Disney movie and Lilo, my favourite show as a kid (Lilo and Stitch)
    They're names I wouldn't like if they didn't remind me of something/someone I loved.
    What are your favourite names inspired by literature, art or film?
    Charlotte
    British Berry
    Liesel - Hans - Evelyn - Wilbur - Adelaide

Tess - partly because of Thomas Hardy's book
    Jude - same as above

Benedict - Sherlock. I've always loved Ben/Benjamin/Bennett but the actor made me really think about and love this version
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I've got loads, although I'd probably still love some of them without the associations. My favourites are probably:

Caspian- Because of the books, and the old BBC episodes
    Sherlock- For obvious reasons. I also love Benedict (I have such a huge crush :P), and I'm warming to John.
    Edmund- For the same reason as Caspian
    Ptolemy- From the Bartimaeus trilogy
    Ephraim- I love because of Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, same with Silas
    Indigo- Casson Family series, some of my fave names come from this series. I also LOVE Saffron and Cadmium.
    August- Becasue of Wonder by R.J. Palacio, such a great book
    Perseus- Percy Jackson
    Dorian- Dorian Gray
    Julian- From the Famous Five series
    And my love for Artemus stemmed from Artemis Fowl
    And of course all the Harry Potter names: Remus, Arthur, Dedalus, Fabian (actually I first saw this in another book series), Gideon, Hugo.

Beatrix- Beatrix Potter
    Enid- Enid Blyton
    Edith- Edith Nesbit
    Morgana- Merlin
    Matilda- Matilda
    I'm warming to Molly, because of Molly Hooper (Sherlock) and Mrs Weasley.
    And again, the Harry Potter names: Arabella, Luna, Hermione, Genevra, Bellatrix (but I definitely love the name more than the character)

For once my boys list is longer than my girls!
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    ✦ Pandora Valencia Fae ✧ Evanthe Lyra Annabeth ✦
    Little Misses
    ✧ Caspian Sherlock Walter ✦ Phoenix Arthur Blaise ✧
    Mister Men

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •

A lot of my top names were inspired by TV shows (I watch way too much TV, lol!)

Jethro Tobias - Leroy Jethro Gibbs and Tobias Fornell, NCIS (it was actually initially a coincidence that I paired the two names up; I didn't realise the connection for a while. Doesn't put me off the combo though!)
    Malcolm - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly (Nathan Fillion is a genius! I also love Castle and Beckett as boys names from his other show, Castle)
    Fiona - Fiona Glennane from Burn Notice
    Nell and Hettie - Nell Jones and Henrietta Lange from NCIS Los Angeles
    Prue - Prue Halliwell from Charmed (my favourite sister)

I love all these names despite of their connections, but the shows were the first time I fell in love with them x
    Sophie | 22 | England, UK
    science geek, crime-fiction buff, name nerd

Feeling very indecisive right now; my name lists need an overhaul!

New stuff coming soon!

Sherlock - I think previous posters have covered this one.
    Enjolras, Gavroche - both fairly unusable names from Hugo's epic Les Miserables.
    Amedeo - both as a nod to the painter and the character from the children's book by E.L. Konigsburg, a favorite of mine growing up.
    Fitzwilliam - it's a GP. But I prefer it to Darcy, which is used more and more often for girls these days.

Estella - as in Great Expectations.
    Ophelia - though honestly I prefer the name without the Shakespearean connotation.
    Titania - a favorite Shakespearean maiden.
    Mabel - from the Wilde play, An Ideal Husband. She was also the first major role I performed onstage, so she has a special meaning to me.
    Eloise - another childhood favorite.
    Endora - Bewitched was my childhood. Plus, it has that quirky old lady vibe that I've come to love.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid