Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mill1020 View Post
    You know what I have really enjoyed watching with my kids, at times when we really just needed to chill out (and they were sick of reading with me)? Movies that I loved when I was a kid, like The Princess Bride, The Sound of Music, etc.

My aunt, who had four kids, had a great setup when her kids were growing up. The downstairs TV was just for movies, and they had a huge collection of classics. Her older kids would watch one while her younger ones were napping.

It's also kind of a nice justification to watch some of the Narnia/Lord of the Rings stuff--we're reading the books and then watching the movies together.
    That's exactly one of the things I am really looking forward to. I've considered buying myself a portable hard drive so I can add all the tv series' that I watched as a little girl. It must be so much fun to share your childhood with your children!

Sorry for rambling but your post is making me rethink some things. I really don't want my son to end up like my in-laws...sigh
    Rambling is welcome, I am pouring over everyone's comments and opinions, so even tangents are welcome

Maybe my outlook is a little different because it's kind of always been an expectation in our house. When we were little, there was no telly during dinner, and as we began to get game boys, phones, etc. that was never ever allowed. Answering/playing on the phone during dinner is still not acceptable. And honestly it doesn't bother me an inch (even at nineteen, almost twenty.) We weren't allowed to have computers in our rooms, portable devices had to be switched of by 8-8.30pm, and even now my brother isn't allowed on his personal computer past 7.30 (plus he has to hand it over to Mum anyhow.) I have a really big family as well, our extended family is kind of our everything, we were very unified so there were always other children around. No adult or parent at our family dinners is on their phone, be it out or at someone's home, with exception of the parents of the cousin I mentioned earlier. We have a really great bond, so being able to play and talk to the kids is something I really value, especially as they're getting older. Plus I love kids anyway, I've done work in childcare and am in the process of becoming a teacher. My parents took us everywhere when we were younger, other than when they had date nights or adult events to go to. It really taught as about manners, patience and the importance of family/bonding time.

That's just my experience anyhow.
    Last edited by sodallas3; July 3rd, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

@feberin

I hear you! It is so so difficult telling kids that they cannot do what adults are doing, much less that they cannot do what their same age cousins are doing. I grew up with 15 geographically and relationally close cousins. All of us were born within 5 years. I know this was a huge challenge for my parents (since some aunts and uncles were inevitably more permissive than others) and they didn't even have tablets and smart phones to contend with.

I do think it is OK (within reason) to have different rules at grandmas or out with grandma than you do at home.

But I agree, it is so difficult! I often wish we lived closer to our very large extended family, but sometimes it is easier living further away in some ways.

Thanks everyone! It is very difficult when family members have different rules concerning screen time. I actually think I annoyed my uncle last year at Thanksgiving for not bringing a computer device for my three year old. And with my in-laws it's a lot worse with the television always being on if we're over. Plus my son has some behavioral issues that we've really seen an improvement with recently after doing behavioral therapy but is still a more challenging child. I feel like it might be a lot easier with my daughter who is a lot happier to do other quiet activities versus my son who is constantly in motion. However I feel like with parenting that I'm constantly being forced to change what I previously thought about it.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

I also don't have any children yet but I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately. I don't think there's a lot of point in having a TV to be honest, there's far too many weird adverts that I can't imagine I wouldn't want my children to view. I think I would rather my children just watch the kids section on Netflix.

I don't really agree with video games either or iPod/iPad (for younger children). I was at a family party last week and one of my little cousins was there (he is six) as he sat down on the couch and was talking to me and my sister and his mum interrupted the conversation to give him his iPad which he then played on for the majority of the party. I would much rather my children converse with their family than games which probably don't teach them very much.
    All good things are wild and free.

August Leo Wilder - Caleb Orion Thomas - Flynn Alexander Bodhi
    Jasper William Finch - Brock Louis Gunnar

Emilia Grace Shiloh - Hazel Briony Ada - Luna Florence Olive - Iris Matilda Joy

Sorry for any typos or grammar errors, auto-correct is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by feberin View Post
    Thanks everyone! It is very difficult when family members have different rules concerning screen time. I actually think I annoyed my uncle last year at Thanksgiving for not bringing a computer device for my three year old. And with my in-laws it's a lot worse with the television always being on if we're over. Plus my son has some behavioral issues that we've really seen an improvement with recently after doing behavioral therapy but is still a more challenging child. I feel like it might be a lot easier with my daughter who is a lot happier to do other quiet activities versus my son who is constantly in motion. However I feel like with parenting that I'm constantly being forced to change what I previously thought about it.
    So true; parenting is so often nothing like what you thought it would be.

I love my boys but it's so refreshing to have a daughter who will sit there and draw, or go clean her own room when I gently suggest it (and sometimes when I don't!).
    Mom to James Daniel (9), William Joseph (8), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (baby)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Amy, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Audrey, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas, Martin ("maybe")