Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts On Doris?

As much as I hate to admit this, the name Doris has really been growing on me for a few reasons.

A) The surprising amount of popularity in the US. I figured the name would have had a handful of births every year, with some years not having any, but, the name Doris only dropped off the charts in 1992, and, in the past 10 years has had an average of 87 babies born every year (87.5 to be exact).

B) The embarrassing fact that I know; Louis Tomlinson of One Direction has a baby sister named Doris, who was born earlier this year, in February. I hated the name at first, but now I've seen pictures of his baby sister (and brother) on Twitter, so I have a nice visual of a young child with the name.

C) Doris fits in perfectly/near perfect with my style of British Victorian/Edwardian names. In 1904, it was the 3rd most popular name for English baby girls.

D) The meaning of Doris is beautiful (gift of the ocean/sea) and it connects to my family background on my mother's side (even though I'm not incredibly big on using all family names).

I suppose my question about this is, is the name Doris really THAT bad? Is it entirely, horrifically scarring to use on anyone, or will a little Doris end up being fine as far as her name goes?

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

I have been thinking about Doris too. I can't think why it hasn't become more popular again. I like it.

Anyone else?

♂: Neville | Matthew | Ernest | Alfie | Louis | Christopher | Harry | James | Albert | Andrew

♀: Doris | Eleanor | Violet | Lillian | Florence | Martha | Minnie | Agatha | Freya |

Doris is a great name.
    Not expecting...yet! Just love names!
    {Lyric} - {Delilah} - {Harper} - {Aoife} - {Cecilia} - {Seraphina} - {Clarisse} - {Fianna} - {Ophelia} - {Everly}
    {River} - {Silas} - {Lincoln} - {Augustus} - {Jasper} - {Ace} - {Hendrik} - {Jett} - {Delaney} - {Knox}

I met a German shepherd named Doris once. Cute on a dog, but not a baby.